GIGABYTE GA-965 Variations

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
So... I'm on my way to building a new rig and I would like to get a Gigabyte GA-965 mobo... but g'dam there are like a million variations available and I'm not sure which one is the best solution for me.

I'm hoping to equip it with is a core 2 duo, one optical drive, one harddrive, a 8800GTS, a XFi Soundcard and DDR2800 Ram. I know that all the GA-965s will run this configuration but what is the major difference between the DS3 and the S3, the G965 and the P965?

I've tried reading over the specs but can't see any differences in the boards (other than one has special new components... same board but $20 more). I don't plan on OCing at this point so I'd just like to know which board is going to work best for me. Should I steer clear of a particular variation? Or will they all work just fine?

Thanks for any help and thoughts.

zenmaster

Splendid
Feb 21, 2006
The G variant has built-in graphics and does not OC very well.
Be sure to get the P variant.

The DS-3 and S-3 match in regards to features but the DS model has solid state capacitors which make it more able to handle power surges.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Awesome, thank you for breaking that down for me. So a P variant DS would be my best bet. I knew there had to be some significant difference between the types. :wink: