Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 require BIOS update before OCing?

Decad02

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Hello

I generally hear two sets of advice: Flash your BIOS to get the latest version or *don't* flash it unless something is wrong.

I've printed out the OC guide on this forum and intend to give it a shot. Is it recommended that I flash the motherboard BIOS and are there any precautions I should take if I should?

thanks

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Depends which BIOS version comes with your board out of the box. If it's newer then you should be ok, but if it's older then definitely update.

Regardless, with the Gigabytes, don't even bother flashing, too much can possibly go wrong. Use @BIOS, it's Windows-based and very stable. Highly recommended....you can update extremely easy. No reason not to update:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/NewTech/old_motherboard_newtech/tech_a_bios.htm

Decad02

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Depends which BIOS version comes with your board out of the box. If it's newer then you should be ok, but if it's older then definitely update.

Regardless, with the Gigabytes, don't even bother flashing, too much can possibly go wrong. Use @BIOS, it's Windows-based and very stable. Highly recommended....you can update extremely easy. No reason not to update:

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/FileList/NewTech/old_motherboard_newtech/tech_a_bios.htm
Thanks, I'll try that if I need to update it.

Is there an easy/quick way to tell what bios version I have?

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
What you first start up your system, look at the load screen. It'll say which BIOS at the top. If it's F9 or later you should be fine.

Decad02

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
I don't think it does. I couldn't find the option in the bios and the spec sheets I've looked say it doesn't (after all, what point would there by on a DC CPU?).

I hope not, anyway, since I'm supposed to turn off that option for the bios update :oops:

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
Dang, I must be thinking of something else then. Crap, I can't remember right now.....argh, my brain is dead these days.

Who's a mind reader around here? Help a guy out, come on!! :)

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
YOU GET THE PRIZE!!! :D HT, VT....it's close on the keyboard and apparently in my nooblet brain too LOL.

And since you're a mind reader, can I hire you to help read my wife's mind so I know what to do/not do, what to say/not say????

;)

plguzman

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2006
I always upgrade and I can tell that the BIOS are more and more stable as the version is higher. What's the problem? if you have any issues you can roll back and install the one you like the most.

So, upgrade. (F11).

Decad02

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
I upgraded it with no problems using @BIOS...but it only upgraded to F9 (which seems to be fine). I thought it would upgrade it to the newest version (F11). Not a big deal. I overclocked my CPU to 2.87 mhz and it seems to be doing fine (can't be bothered to go higher right now).

Decad02

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Thanks mate. :)

I only have one concern. I can't find PCI Clock Sync Mode/PCI frequency anywhere in my BIOS, and I hear it is important to set to 33mhz :( All I can find is PCI Express (which I change to 100mhz).

Gigabyte GA-965P-S3
e6300 cpu

scifiguy

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
Finfished putting my newest sytem together this weekend and found something interesting.... I updated the Bios from F9 to F11. using a C2D 6420, Went through the overclocking procedure, got it stable @3.2. Had to shutdown to finish installing some programs, fired it up and "POOF" all my overclocking setting are gone, even though i saved them. Any thoughts???

flabbergasted

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006
Finfished putting my newest sytem together this weekend and found something interesting.... I updated the Bios from F9 to F11. using a C2D 6420, Went through the overclocking procedure, got it stable @3.2. Had to shutdown to finish installing some programs, fired it up and "POOF" all my overclocking setting are gone, even though i saved them. Any thoughts???

I had the same thing happen to me. Was running stable at 3.2 for a few days and like you, poof, gone on a reboot. Tried tweaking it by giving it more juice but all it got me was more heat. What I eventually did was settle for 3.15 and now its been solid as a rock for the last couple of months.

DS3 with F10 bios
C2D 6300
Stock cooling

skyguy

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2006
I've seen a few weird things happen like that around 3.2 ghz. Can't explain it, just know that it happens on occasion. Dropping the FSB by a few down to 3.15ghz has worked with a few people, so give that a try! Again, dunno why, I just know it might help.

Just like women (and cards)......don't know how they work, just know how to drive them ;)

scifiguy

Distinguished
May 18, 2007
From one guy to another , Thanks for the input. You must be part of the Physic Friends network, 'cause I just figured that out no more than 5 minutes before. Ended up at 3.12Ghz and now the settings stay put. I can replicate the failure if I go to 3.2. Very weird??? And to add another tidbit about women some are built for comfort, some are built for speed, but its all good in the end................ :lol:

Windfish

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2006
I've flashed my DS3 3 times, and nothing has gone wrong, I've used @BIOS, and possibly another method too, and am currently running F11 BIOS. If you're overclocking has no success on your current BIOS, and you want to try a new one, then it's unlikely that you will make a mistake doing so. If you don't want to risk destroying your board, then you shouldn't be overclocking or flashing the BIOS, but the choice is yours, I'd go for it if I was you.

making3d

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2007
I have a Gigabyte GA-965P-S3 rel.1.0 mobo. Tried to upgrade my F9 bios to F10 usind @BIOS in Windows. Something went wrong because in the end I got an error message, something like no permission to write to BIOS. I booted and now I can´t get any signal from my video card. No beeps or anything.
Does any one knows how to revert my problem? Even if it is a BIOS issue, shouldn´t I been able to see the error on screen?

Thanks for any help.
David