Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 Flashing help

WK1989R

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
I am trying to flash my motherboard because i cannot play certain steam games because of my CPU (AMD FX-6100) flashing the motherboard should fix the issue according to the forums of those games but i have never done this before and google and youtube only got me so far so im hoping someone over here can help me.

I have checked the Gigabyte site for the latest BIOS version only to find 3 different rev's??? of my mother board 1.0/1.1, 1.2 and 3.0 and i do not know which one applies to my motherboard or where to find it, another problem i have is that i do not own a floppy disk or disk drive and have to do it through USB but i do know how to turn that into a MS-DOS? bootable USB.

I am a real novice when it comes to things like this and i would of preffered to not flash the BIOS because i know the risks but wasting alot of euro's on games i cannot play is a shame so i desperately need help to do this safely so i can enjoy my games for the first time.

Solution
If you still have the box for the motherboard there is a good chance there is a sticker on the side which will tell you the revision number (I have my mate's box here and it does). Otherwise it is a case of peering inside the PC with a torch. The revision number is nearly always printed on the motherboard. It is usually not too hidden, sometimes screen printed near the logo or around the pci slots etc (pretty sure on your board it will be on the corner of the board above the PCI slot.

You will need to to find what board revision you have to make sure you download the correct BIOS files (if you check on the product page you will see different version numbers to click on and it would seem they have different files).

Gigabyte make some...

womble

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2006
If you still have the box for the motherboard there is a good chance there is a sticker on the side which will tell you the revision number (I have my mate's box here and it does). Otherwise it is a case of peering inside the PC with a torch. The revision number is nearly always printed on the motherboard. It is usually not too hidden, sometimes screen printed near the logo or around the pci slots etc (pretty sure on your board it will be on the corner of the board above the PCI slot.

You will need to to find what board revision you have to make sure you download the correct BIOS files (if you check on the product page you will see different version numbers to click on and it would seem they have different files).

Gigabyte make some good boards but I'll concur that things aren't very well explained on the BIOS front. I would select the newest non beta BIOS and download it into a folder. Gigabyte tend to have their files as self extracting executables (I'm on my Mac and can't easily look). If the extracted files contain an autoexec.bat (can't remember if Windows hides these by default) then it is a sign that you need to go the bootable MS DOS USB route (it is easy enough though).

I have to rush to get some things done just now, but I'll look at this later tonight on my PC to check. I have a different GB board and updating a normal BIOS was easy - just format a USB stick as fat 32, copy BIOS file across and use the utility in the BIOS to update. However when I needed to change to a EUFI BIOS I had to use the bootable MS DOS method.

The link below shows you how to make a bootable MS DOS stick (I know it for A Crucial SSD firmware update but just follow the first few steps, when you have done second bit and the Win 98 MS DOS files are copied across you are done)

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/How-to-create-a-bootable-USB-drive-for-firmware-updates/td-p/5985

I'll try and check this evening for you though to make sure you select the correct method.

Solution

WK1989R

Honorable
Jun 13, 2013
Checked for the revision number its 1.1 downloaded the latest non beta BIOS like you said went to work on the USB stick afterwards i did everything it said in the link you gave me but Q-Flash still says there is no present drive.