[SOLVED] Gigabyte GA-970A-UD3 - USB 3.0 Problem

Dec 21, 2018
Hello. Happy Friday!

First time here and I'm hoping somebody can help me with a problem I'm having.

Before I jump into my issue, here are my specs:
AMD FX-8350
GTX 1060
16GB RAM
Windows 10 - 64 bit

I recently bought an external capture card (Elgato HD60 S). My issue is that as video is being captured in Elgato's Game Capture software, I'm getting constantly low FPS: 0-2 fps. I noticed, however, that when I lower my resolution on my PS4 from 1080p to 720p, the issue goes away completely.

This leads me to think that my USB 3.0 (required to use 3.0) cannot manage the bandwidth of 1080p @ 60fps.

I've tried to update my USB drivers (both by going to device manager and letting windows update the drivers and going to the GB website to download drivers manually) but haven't had any luck. I'm considering buying a PCIe to USB 3.0 card but I wanted to check here to see if there were any other options.

I know only a little about computers so maybe there's something I'm missing.

Thanks to anybody who took the time to read this and help with my issue. :)

Solution
The bandwidth of USB 3.0 is sufficient.

The problem is that many capture devices do not work well with ASMedia or Etron USB 3 controllers, and unfortunately your board uses an Etron chip rather than something compatible like Intel, Renesas, VIA, or AMD.

Perhaps you can find an inexpensive PCIe USB 3.0 card that uses a compatible chip.

RealBeast

Titan
The bandwidth of USB 3.0 is sufficient.

The problem is that many capture devices do not work well with ASMedia or Etron USB 3 controllers, and unfortunately your board uses an Etron chip rather than something compatible like Intel, Renesas, VIA, or AMD.

Perhaps you can find an inexpensive PCIe USB 3.0 card that uses a compatible chip.

Solution