Sep 15, 2019
I recently got a used Gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3 rev 4.0 and it’s the only new part of my build so I can verify all the other parts are working. I originally got one a few weeks ago and had the same issue so I sent it back thinking it was DOA. Now with the second one I’m wondering if it’s user error.

I tried breadboarding it and from bare bare bones mobo adding each part individually and testing. Without the 4+4pin in the ATX12V slot all the LEDs and Fans stay on consistently. Though when I plug in the 4+4 with either 4 or 8 connected nothing powers on at all, sometimes the LEDs and fans will flick on for a nanosecond but that’s only happens the first time when I unplug the PSU for a minute and then replug it.

Not really sure sure where to go from here please help.

Gigabyte ga-990fxa-ud3
AMD 9590fx
Asus GeForce RTX 2070 Super
Patriot Viper III DDR3 1600hz (2x8GB)
SilverStone 1500W Strider Gold S

Sep 15, 2019
It's quite possible. We're talking used motherboards on a platform that wasn't very dependable in the best of times. If the other parts are all truly verified to be working by equipment swaps, I don't have any idea what else it could be.
Do you know where I could get a new one or maybe a different one I can get new? I can’t find it new anywhere

DSzymborski

Titan
Do you know where I could get a new one or maybe a different one I can get new? I can’t find it new anywhere

It would be very hard to find, maybe on eBay if you're lucky. Problem is that this CPU came out at the tail-end of what was at the time an ancient platform and only a few motherboards could safely run a 220W CPU anyway. We usually counsel people to move on from an AM3+ build as they have to start shelling out money, because of this.

Sep 15, 2019
It would be very hard to find, maybe on eBay if you're lucky. Problem is that this CPU came out at the tail-end of what was at the time an ancient platform and only a few motherboards could safely run a 220W CPU anyway. We usually counsel people to move on from an AM3+ build as they have to start shelling out money, because of this.
Would it be possible to just get a new mobo and cpu or is my whole system incompatible. And what for factor should I use for similar or better performance?

DSzymborski

Titan
Would it be possible to just get a new mobo and cpu or is my whole system incompatible. And what for factor should I use for similar or better performance?

Your GPU and PSU will work fine in a new platform. Pretty much any Ryzen will give you better performance; it's especially stark in gaming as even the Ryzen 2400G outperforms any AM3+ CPU in most games unless they're very highly threaded. It's a larger investment than a used 990FX motherboard, but it's a far better choice in the long run, I feel and I'd definitely consider it. No CPU has caused more headaches than these 220W AM3+ CPUs!

Sep 15, 2019
Your GPU and PSU will work fine in a new platform. Pretty much any Ryzen will give you better performance; it's especially stark in gaming as even the Ryzen 2400G outperforms any AM3+ CPU in most games unless they're very highly threaded. It's a larger investment than a used 990FX motherboard, but it's a far better choice in the long run, I feel and I'd definitely consider it. No CPU has caused more headaches than these 220W AM3+ CPUs!
But then why does AM3+ have such higher core count and core clock speed?

Sep 15, 2019
What ryzen would you recommend for under $300?