Mar 27, 2018
Here's my specs:
Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 rev. 4.0 BIOS ver. F3
AMD 8150 BE
Geforce GTX 1070 8gb
16gb G-Skill Value Ram
1TB HDD
YES... ALL drivers are up to date!!!

I was using a liquid cooler on the processor until it died. And yes it died; I tested it on another system. So now I'm using the stock cooler that came with the AMD 8150 BE. The other day I started overheating and I also noticed that the fan on the proc wouldn't "spool" up to compensate for load (playing BF1). I didn't have this problem until right then!! I checked the BIOS settings and went as far as to change them in every combination I could think of but still overheating. The fan on the cooler does spin, It just doesn't "spool" up!
In the BIOS there are three parameters that can be changed:

Advanced /frequency Settings/Advanced CPU Core Features/Cool& Quiet = Enable/Disable

PC Health Status has 2 settings:
CPU Fan Control Mode = Auto/Voltage/PWM
CPU Fan Speed Control = Normal/Silent/Manual/Disable

I have tried every combination of these three parameters and it changes Nothing. Can I get my fan to just run at max? I know it's loud but I'm ok with it temporarily till I can actually spend some $$. Is my MB actually going dead?

My tech level is med to med -high so please be specific and thanks for any help in advance!

Solution
Mar 27, 2018
Thanks for the response... The BIOS ver. is F3 and I spotted the problem on a mild morning. I turn OFF my computer when I sleep and did the same this time. I booted/ cold booted and it started just fine ( but, I don't just always watch my temp.). I checked emails and then loaded BF1 to play. I didn't even get past the main menu before I heard the BIOS alarm that I set at 70c. AND then I realized that I'm not hearing the same noise as I usually do. The CPU fan was not spinning "fast and loud" under the load (obviously!). Then I did what I posted in my first post. Oh, and, no overclock! The stock cooler wouldn't handle it and/or I wouldn't trust it to do what I want.

Thanks for making the effort to help. I'll try flashing the BIOS (good suggestion, I didn't think of that one) and get back asap!

robert123

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2008

There are at least some 990fxa ud3 rev 4 motherboards that don't work properly with the F3 bios. In particular the cpu fan may stall or run very slowly after resume from standby. I recall getting a beta bios (f4a) that fixed this problem from Gigabyte support, but this does not seem to have been released. There are some updated versions of f4a at https://forum.giga-byte.co.uk/index.php?topic=16870.0

Robert

Solution
Jan 14, 2019

Hi same problem almost identical setup but have a msi 1050ti and 1tb ssd. i have found that on my machine its fine until the computer goes into sleep mode, then when i wake it up the cpu fan ( Fan but Gaming Fan ) just idles, the temp just slowly rises until it crashes. to stop this i have been running easy tune 6 and set the fan mode to custom. but would love to find a permanent solution.

TRENDING THREADS