Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p and G.Skill F2-8500CL5D

normeister

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Hi Guys,

I recently built a new computer comprising of the Gigabyte ga-ep45-ud3p motherboard and G.Skill F2-8500CL5D 4GPPK (four 2GB Sticks)

Installed Vista 64bit ultimate, and noticed intermittent crahses, originally thought it was software compatibility issues with the 64bit OS. I figured I'd format and try Win7, bit still had the same issue.

This is what brings me here. Ran memtest86+ with all four sticks in place, and I get the following error:

Memtest.jpg

Removed three sticks of Ram and tried memtest86 on each module individually, and got no errors. Are the Bios settings incorrect for this setup? I can run windows fine without crashes in single channel mode, but when I attempt dual channel, I get crahes. Here's my current Bios setup. Could you guys please help me out and suggest some optimal settings that will work with this Mobo/Mem setup. Thnaks in advance

Bios1.jpg

Bios2.jpg

Norm

normeister

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

I tried those settings, and memtest86+ still reports an error.

B1.jpg

Here are the bios settings. Hope you can suggest something that works.

b2.jpg

b3.jpg

b4.jpg

b5.jpg

Using overclocked memory always is challenging. Have you tried using an X.M.P. profile? Your modules should have an EPP timing table. If that doesn't help, did you try to lower the MCH core voltage to 1.050 as suggested in the TweakTown thread? I use G.Skill 800 MHz modules at 4-4-4-12 timings and 1.9V and my systems are stable. If all else fails, you could try those settings since your modules are the same.

normeister

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009

I've tried the settings you suggested 4-4-4-12 and 1.9v ram voltage, and the computer won't even post. I appreciate your help on this.

It's DDR2 memory, right? Stop trying to overclock your memory. Screen shots indicate that it seems to be limiting your CPU overclock and contributing to system instability..

Change your system mem mult to 2.00. That will keep your memory in step with your FSB freq.

If you are running 4 sticks, try increasing RAM voltage by .1 or .2 volts.

Here's a link to a thread where we discuss memory timing:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251715-29-ratio-myth