[SOLVED] Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L onboard graphic card shared memory

tzitzikas

Prominent
Feb 17, 2020
Hi. I have an Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L. I have read the manual but I cannot find how I can change from bios menu the ram memory MBytes that the onboard VGA card (motherboard graphics) uses. What is the minimum and the maximum ram that onboard vga use? Any help? Thank you in advance!

Solution
It's on page 39 of the English manual: On-Chip Frame Buffer Size 8MB (default) or 1MB which is of course the minimum. Maximum is not manually adjustable and is automatic up to 256MB.

If you are trying to figure out why 768MB of RAM is untouchable when 4GB is installed, even in a 64-bit OS then give it up--Intel intentionally crippled this chipset to be unable to remap addresses to above 4GB for product segmentation reasons. Remember, it's Gigabyte who chose to save $2 over G33 which, besides 8GB in 4 DIMMs, also added AHCI and a gigabit MAC
It's on page 39 of the English manual: On-Chip Frame Buffer Size 8MB (default) or 1MB which is of course the minimum. Maximum is not manually adjustable and is automatic up to 256MB.

If you are trying to figure out why 768MB of RAM is untouchable when 4GB is installed, even in a 64-bit OS then give it up--Intel intentionally crippled this chipset to be unable to remap addresses to above 4GB for product segmentation reasons. Remember, it's Gigabyte who chose to save $2 over G33 which, besides 8GB in 4 DIMMs, also added AHCI and a gigabit MAC

Solution