Gigabyte GA-G41M-E2SL: supports Kingston KVR800D2N6/4g? I find mixed responses. HELP!!!

55Mike E55

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016
I have a Gigabyte GA-G41M-E2SL INTEL-based mobo that I'm trying to upgrade to 8g RAM. Both GIGABYTE and KINGSTON tell me that the Kingston KVR800D2N6/4g is supported by this board, but most sellers specify this memory only for AMD boards. Two sticks I bought from AliExpress don't work on this board, but Kingston advised that I upgrade the BIOS which is 7 years old. Does anyone have experience with this board along these lines? Thanks.

Solution
Kingston memory part number KVR800D2N6/4G is supported by this G41M-E2SL motherboard.

The issue is most likely due to incompatibility between the individual memory modules (even for those modules with the same part number) due to variance in module characteristics. Each module has its own unique characteristic, and in order for two or modules to work together compatibly, their respective characteristics have to be similar.

Two solutions -

1) Get another 4GB Kingston KVR800D2N6/4G module and try combinations of all these Kingston modules to find a combination that works. It may require getting several more modules until a compatible combination is eventually found.

2) Get a known system compatible 2 x 4 GB dual channel...
Kingston memory part number KVR800D2N6/4G is supported by this G41M-E2SL motherboard.

The issue is most likely due to incompatibility between the individual memory modules (even for those modules with the same part number) due to variance in module characteristics. Each module has its own unique characteristic, and in order for two or modules to work together compatibly, their respective characteristics have to be similar.

Two solutions -

1) Get another 4GB Kingston KVR800D2N6/4G module and try combinations of all these Kingston modules to find a combination that works. It may require getting several more modules until a compatible combination is eventually found.

2) Get a known system compatible 2 x 4 GB dual channel kit to replace all of the current memory. The modules within the kit are guaranteed to be compatible with each other, so should work without any problem.

Option 2 is preferred as it can save time and money.

Solution

Tradesman1

Legenda in Aeternum

+1

55Mike E55

Commendable
Jun 16, 2016

Hi Brisspuss;
Thanks for your thoughtful and educated response. I've already collected over 20 GB of DR2 memory for this computer, and none of the pairs work, perhaps for the reason you mention. I think I'll try single pieces one a t a time to get around the compatibiity issue. I think the mobo will run on a single stick. I'm not gonna invest in any more memory fo this machine since I really don't need 8GB to do my routine work. Again, thanks for the info and suggestions. 55Mike E55