[SOLVED] Gigabyte GA-H61M-S Intel 3rd Motherboard

kzainshah

Reputable
Oct 28, 2019
Gigabyte GA-H61M-S Intel 3rd Motherboard / Intel H61 Chipset / Socket 115 / PCI-EX 16 Generation 3 / Micro ATX / Dual Channel DDR3 x 2 / HD Audio / Gbe LAN / 3Gb/s SATA x 4 / USB 2.0

I'm going to buy this motherboard for an old pc is it good and will it support windows 10 and newer versions
And I have a duo core2 processer 2nd generation will it support, guide me through all the info about the motherboard if you don't mind, Asap

Solution
Oh, I see, Thank you, How about the processer I've already got an old duo core2 2nd generation, one more thing is that the SSD I got I windows is already installed in it, should I have to format then reinstall it with the new motherboard or will it boot with the install windows10 itself. Thank you very much for the kind info.

Doing a full reinstall is the better way, but most times I get away with carrying Windows install through motherboards. Mostly for testing a working system, but the idea remains. Probably need a new Windows key with different motherboards, though.

A fresh install has the best chance for compatibility, but again, the worst that can happen is that the PC won't boot Windows with an old installation and you...

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014
Gigabyte GA-H61M-S Intel 3rd Motherboard / Intel H61 Chipset / Socket 115 / PCI-EX 16 Generation 3 / Micro ATX / Dual Channel DDR3 x 2 / HD Audio / Gbe LAN / 3Gb/s SATA x 4 / USB 2.0

I'm going to buy this motherboard for an old pc is it good and will it support windows 10 and newer versions
And I have a duo core2 processer 2nd generation will it support, guide me through all the info about the motherboard if you don't mind, Asap

You can simply install Win10 on the H61 system --have ran H61, B75,Z77 up to Win10 no problems. My home server rig runs even older hardware (H55--not even Sandy Bridge) with Win10, updated to 20H2 as well.

IIRC, LGA775 boards also work with Win10, but been a few years since I last laid my hands on one so can't be 100% sure on that. 85-95% sure. The worse that can happen is just the system refusing to boot past BIOS, you can just install Win7 should it come to that.

Reactions: kzainshah

kzainshah

Reputable
Oct 28, 2019
Oh, I see, Thank you, How about the processer I've already got an old duo core2 2nd generation, one more thing is that the SSD I got I windows is already installed in it, should I have to format then reinstall it with the new motherboard or will it boot with the install windows10 itself. Thank you very much for the kind info.

iPeekYou

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2014

Doing a full reinstall is the better way, but most times I get away with carrying Windows install through motherboards. Mostly for testing a working system, but the idea remains. Probably need a new Windows key with different motherboards, though.

A fresh install has the best chance for compatibility, but again, the worst that can happen is that the PC won't boot Windows with an old installation and you have to do a clean install anyway.

Afterthought: my Core i3-550 is much more similar to Core 2 gen than to the Sandy Bridge Core i series, you should be fine installing Win10 on that platform.

Solution