GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L Fan Connectors?

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Hey all

I'm getting ready to buy the GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3L mobo and wanted to know how many 3pin fan connectors are on the board. I've read that the NB and SB run hot, so I'm going to invest in more case fans but want to know if I need 4pin or 3pin connectors for the fans. (Speaking of which, if anyone has any good advice on quite 120mm fans with good air flow please let me know)

Thanks in advance for any/all advice and comments.

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
So I checked on Gigabyte's website about the mobo and got the specs for the board. But I'm not 100% what they actually are saying

Internal I/O Connectors
1 x 24-pin ATX main power connector
1 x 4-pin ATX 12V power connector
1 x floppy disk drive connector
1 x IDE connector
4 x SATA 3Gb/s connectors
1 x CPU fan header
2 x system fan headers
1 x power fan header
1 x front panel header
1 x front panel audio header
1 x CD In connector
1 x S/PDIF In header
1 x S/PDIF out connector
3 x USB 2.0/1.1 headers (supports 6 ports)
1 x chassis intrusion header
1 x power LED header

What are the differences between CPU fan headers, system fan headers and power fan headers?

chris57

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
The CPU fan header is controlled and has variable speed depending on load. The others are on 100% all the time.

On my DS3R I have 3 pin CPU and 3 pin system fans sockets. The power fan header is 4 pin I think.

its a pwn fan plug. if you look at new heatsinks they run this way...

4in4a.jpg

Its just a normal fan plug with an extra pin for a different forum of speed control....

Shez

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2004
Awesome, thanks for the picture nukemaster. An image always helps.

Do most CPU coolers have the 4pin connector? From everything I've seen case fans are still the ol' 3pin variety correct? So...for the power fan connector, would that be a case fan with speed control?

Intel introed that standard. Some amd boards adopted it as well. Not sure about amd them selves tho...either way a 4 pin fan works on a 3 pin connector and the other way round(just tell the bios to use legacy fan control)...

Mugz

Splendid
Oct 27, 2006
I've seen a few 4-pin AMD heatsinks from OEMs, almost every AM2 AMD board I've seen in the past six months has the 4-pin headers, and the plug is designed to take 3-pin fans as well as 4-pin - hence the offset lug.

As nukemaster said, 3-pin fan on 4-pin header works, 4-pin fan on 3-pin header works, so why worry?