[SOLVED] Gigabyte ga p35 ds3l rev 2.0 new RAM... and GPU

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
Hi!. I have just bought a new MOBO and adquired some ram for it.

My last setup was made almost two years ago, and so I forgot to do one of the most important things befor attempting a new build: check for compatibility issues before buying the RAM sticks for it.

I have now 8 GB of RAM DDR2:
-> 4 GB on two 2GB sticks of unknown brand (I put some heatsinks on them and I did not take note about that part) running in Dual Chnannel on a GA 31 ESML rev 1.0 for more than 4 years with no problems
-> Another 4 GB on another pair of 2 GB sticks of the brand ATERMITER ( PC 6400 CL6, 1.8 v). Brand new.

I have searched in the GigaByte web site for a compatibility chart, but the one available it is not updated anymore and I cannot find this brand, even there are not more than two or three types of 2 GB modules listed on that compatibility chart.

Will I encounter problems with this RAM?.

Also. i have installed on my old(er) MOBO , the GA 31, a GTX 1050 with no problems so far (the one I have was caused by a shitty PSU), will it work on this MOBO without updating the BIOS?

What´s your experience with this MOBO?

Thanks in anticipation!!

Solution
Any DDR2 RAM will work. The compatibility chart is just the RAM tested by Gigabyte. But anytime you mix RAM sticks, you take a chance of running into memory errors down the road. That is why you always want to buy dual channel memory on matched pairs.

That is an old board. I had that same board many years ago with a Core 2 Quad Q9650 Processor in it. It was a good board/cpu combo for gaming back in its day, too. Today, that whole platform is long obsolete. But that doesn't mean it is useless. Still a good solid motherboard, just out of date. Is yours used? Never know how many hands have had it by this time.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Any DDR2 RAM will work. The compatibility chart is just the RAM tested by Gigabyte. But anytime you mix RAM sticks, you take a chance of running into memory errors down the road. That is why you always want to buy dual channel memory on matched pairs.

That is an old board. I had that same board many years ago with a Core 2 Quad Q9650 Processor in it. It was a good board/cpu combo for gaming back in its day, too. Today, that whole platform is long obsolete. But that doesn't mean it is useless. Still a good solid motherboard, just out of date. Is yours used? Never know how many hands have had it by this time.

Solution

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
Yes, it is used, but it looks like new: almost dust free, no bent pins and signs of damaged capacitors, it was from a home build not much used, some web surfing and movies, the kind of clonic build you can buy un small computer stores . It looks better than my actual Motherboard, tje GA31. I hope I could still play DOOM 2016 on the GA 35 as I do with the GA 31.

clutchc

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, it is used, but it looks like new: almost dust free, no bent pins and signs of damaged capacitors, it was from a home build not much used, some web surfing and movies, the kind of clonic build you can buy un small computer stores . It looks better than my actual Motherboard, tje GA31. I hope I could still play DOOM 2016 on the GA 35 as I do with the GA 31.
Sounds like you stumbled on a good board. Sometimes that happens. I've had a couple lucky hits myself like that.
Yeah, Doom 2016 is a well-written game. Runs good on just about anything with a little bit of graphic guts. Mostly depends on the graphics card unless you are playing multiplayer. My old Athlon II x4 650 and an RX-560 managed 50-70 fps using Vulcan , Ultra, 1080p. And looked great too.
I loved that game. Waiting for Doom Eternal now.

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
The MOBO is actually a paperweight. Unfortunately, I did not look right the socket. I usually use a magnifying glass to take a look and I did not discover any pins that does not looked right, but when I tried to put my CPU on is when I discover they are literally teared from the socket!!!. It´s crazy, but for some reason the pins remained in their posintion until I tried to put the CPU on the socket. I noticed that the locking lever was kind of stuck, I did not force it, just it did not go down as easy as it should. I raised the lever and the socket cover and all looked fine, until I turn the MOBO upside down, the pind literally fall into the table. I did not force them, they were broken since the first time I bought the MOBO. So, if any of you buy an used MOBO , check the PIN integrity putting the MOBO upside down and rattle it a bit. Just in case.

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
Sorry for not answering before. I cannot return it, it was second hand and I am not quite sure the guy who sells it to me is still in my country, you know, things are like this in Spain nowadays. ;) Aniway, I get a GA G33 DS3R for only a bit more and it is working flawlessly. A true pity, I liked it a lot, it was clean as if it was new, and all looked fine, but somethig was wrong with the pins. I am sure it was not the seller´s fault but a factory problem because, as I said, it looked brand new.