Question Gigabyte GA X48 DS5 - problem and similar models to replace it?

aqgon_6

Commendable
Mar 1, 2018
Hello everyone,

I have had roughly the same pc configuration throughout the last 10 years, with a Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5 motherboard.

This pc always gave me the same constant problem from time to time: the pc powered on but didn't display an image. I always solved that issue by switching the RAM around and reinserting the board battery in the first years of usage. It used to happen once, maybe twice a year. Suffice to say I am in no way an expert.

In the last 5 years however I had 3 graphic cards die on me, and the last two died in the same context, while I was abroad for a few months leaving the pc unused, coming back home to the same problem but in a different form: pc powered on, but no image. As a side question from a non expert user: can the motherboard be killing my GPUs? I have also had two hard disks dying.

I have the intention of keeping this pc as a time capsule, with the games and software from its time (Windows 7), but I want to assure the most stable configuration possible, and to be honest even if it is out of ignorant paranoia I just don't trust the motherboard and I would really like to change it.

Basically what I would like to ask is for your advice for a range of similar or slightly superior motherboard models that I can search for in the used marketplace to directly replace onto the specs shown below, so I can leave this pc in a stable manner for normal gaming and software and to finally move on to build a new one after these 10 years.

General specs:

Intel® Core™2 Quad Processor Q6600
Gigabyte GA-X48-DS5
Kingston HyperX 4x2GB (used to be Corsair Dominator but it gave me problems)
Nvidia Geforce GTX570
Corsair TX650w Power Supply
Nox Coolbay Case

Thank you so much for your time and for all your help.

André

Last edited:

aqgon_6

Commendable
Mar 1, 2018
While good back in the day, that thing is quite old. I would start by replacing it with a higher quality unit, even if it is just a Corsair CX650m.

Thank you, what would you recommend motherboard wise? The powering on but no display issue happened way before my GPUs started dying, all along these 10 years, that is why I always had a nervous attitude towards my motherboard...

aqgon_6

Commendable
Mar 1, 2018
Problem is, that system is so old, finding a good motherboard, may be difficult. You might need to look at the used market, for something a bit newer.

Exactly, but due to my ignorance I have no idea what range of models similar to mine to search for. My intention is to search for the used marketplace in my country, where the prices are not high at all. The problem is to know what models to search for, more than the prices. Do you think you can provide me a few?

60frames

Great
Jun 4, 2019
Exactly, but due to my ignorance I have no idea what range of models similar to mine to search for. My intention is to search for the used marketplace in my country, where the prices are not high at all. The problem is to know what models to search for, more than the prices. Do you think you can provide me a few?
Is the MSI X48 Platinum available in your country? Try and find it. My suggestion is that you should avoid Gigabyte boards in future. I don't know how they are in business with terrible BIOS support for all of their motherboards. I too possess a gigabyte board for my Ryzen rig and it has annoying issues with BIOS and detection of my components. Even after following the correct procedure to update BIOS it still shows many compatibility issues.

aqgon_6

Commendable
Mar 1, 2018
Is the MSI X48 Platinum available in your country? Try and find it. My suggestion is that you should avoid Gigabyte boards in future. I don't know how they are in business with terrible BIOS support for all of their motherboards. I too possess a gigabyte board for my Ryzen rig and it has annoying issues with BIOS and detection of my components. Even after following the correct procedure to update BIOS it still shows many compatibility issues.

Thank you so much, I can't seem to find it anywhere, no. But if you can think of other models that I can look for please don't hesitate. It doesn't even need to be better than the one I have, just more reliable, so I can leave this pc with a stable configuration and move on to a new one.

With a group of models as a reference I will easily find one for sure, MSI, Asus... I did try to search for a bracket but it sure is confusing to me.

Your description of the experience you had with Gigabyte boards sure helps, for a long time my lack of knowledge made me hesitate if it was just paranoia from my part!

60frames

Great
Jun 4, 2019
Thank you so much, I can't seem to find it anywhere, no. But if you can think of other models that I can look for please don't hesitate. It doesn't even need to be better than the one I have, just more reliable, so I can leave this pc with a stable configuration and move on to a new one.

With a group of models as a reference I will easily find one for sure, MSI, Asus... I did try to search for a bracket but it sure is confusing to me.

Your description of the experience you had with Gigabyte boards sure helps, for a long time my lack of knowledge made me hesitate if it was just paranoia from my part!
Here are some other models-
https://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X48TurboTwins/index.asp