Gigabyte GA-Z170-D3H Socket 1151 Motherboard questions

mistpsnFB

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
UPDATE: I'll finally go for the Z170 instead of the H170 for the following reasons...
1. Supports for the higher DDR4 bus (up to 3466mhz) unlike the H170 and the B150 where they only support up to 2133mhz and therefore it will be future proof and increase performance since Skylake CPU's benefits from higher memory speed. Thanks to this guy who made me notice such an important factor in deciding which motherboard to go with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-7bfPG2dE
2. The latest ALC1150 sound chip even tiny improvement is appreciated.
3. I don't think there is a significant price difference between the Z170 and H170 to justify buying the H170

Currently I have p35 Gigabyte and I'm trying to upgrade to a Skylake build with GA-Z170-D3H motherboard, i5 6500 CPU and edifier m3200 speakers. I have mainly two question about it... First, will I feel any difference in sound quality jumping from ALC888 to ALC1150 using this low budget 2.1 speakers?. Second, Is this motherboard a good one overall or is it pretty bad as most reviews on newegg describe it?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128845

PS: PCI slots are extremely important in my case. I won't overclocking the CPU but maybe i'll overclock the DDR4 memory and GTX 750 Ti GPU.

Solution
You should at least have a better noise ratio than the one you have now. Overclocking the memory will not offer such a great performance boost. For overclocking the gpu you don't a z board. So in your case i would go with the same board with h170 instead of z170.

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
In other sites I've looked i saw only great feedback. Gigabyte has some issues during the first few weeks or couple of months. I think that by now all these kinks should be ironed out. Most of the problems mentioned are bios related.

As for the sound honestly i can't say. Supposedly the components used and the methodology should give a better result but it such a subjective matter. Also there are a lot of factors that cannot be accounted for that could make or break the sound performance of a motherboard.

mistpsnFB

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

Thanks for answering. Good to hear that there are great feedback regarding the motherboard since it's the cheapest 1151 motherboard with PCI slots available in my market. For the sound card, I just wanna know if improving it will also affect a cheap speakers and not limited to high-end speakers. Because if it won't affect my speakers then I'd wait few weeks to get a cheaper motherboard as I don't need the overclocking feature of the Z motherboard anyway.

CBender

Reputable
Dec 30, 2015
You should at least have a better noise ratio than the one you have now. Overclocking the memory will not offer such a great performance boost. For overclocking the gpu you don't a z board. So in your case i would go with the same board with h170 instead of z170.

Solution

mistpsnFB

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
The h170 will be available in my market soon and I it looks like the Z170 without the overclocking and other features I won't be using anyway. Thanks a lot.

UPDATE: I'll finally go for the Z170 for the following reasons...
1. Supports for the higher DDR4 bus (up to 3466mhz) unlike the H170 and the B150 where they only support up to 2133mhz and therefore it will be future proof and increase performance since Skylake CPU's benefits from higher memory speed. Thanks to this guy who made me notice such an important factor in deciding which motherboard to go with.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3G-7bfPG2dE
2. The latest ALC1150 sound chip even tiny improvement is appreciated.
3. I don't think there is a significant price difference between the Z170 and H170 to justify buying the H170