[SOLVED] Gigabyte GA-Z170N-Gaming 5 motherboard suddenly stopped booting

yifesyuju

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
Hi everybody,

I haven't used my personal computer in the past 6-8 weeks, but last time I used it it worked fine. Now it starts (as in, I can see the CPU fan spinning and other lights turn on), but it doesn't even get to the BIOS screen. I did a CMOS reset by touching the two CMOS reset pins with a screwdriver for 20 seconds, but it didn't make any difference (I tried it 3 times for good measure).

I'm sure the monitor and its HDMI cable are fine because I can connect my work computer and it all works fine. I've just ordered a DVI adapter so that I can try the DVI port later this week, in case the HDMI port on the PC is now broken (which I think is unlikely).

I've never cleaned the PC since I built it ~4 years ago so it may have something to do with it. It's quite dusty inside, so I've also ordered a can of compressed air. When it arrives, which bits should I particularly focus on?

Is there anything else that you'd recommend I try?

Here are all the parts in case it's relevant: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/rybjo/saved/smsTwP

Thanks!

Solution
Maybe check if your BIOS is defaulted to 'secure boot' mode, or 'fast boot', or could be something to do with the 'uefi' settings. Depends on your version of Ubuntu I think. The latest Linux kernels should be ok with 'secure boot' mode but you would have to double check.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth ... whilst he ponders how many million people will visit the Linus Torvalds statue at the Linux museum each year .... }
Hi yifesyuju.

Try the CMOS clear this way below.
  • Turn off PC
  • Turn PSU switch off
  • Unplug from wall
  • Press and hold the power button for 20 seconds
  • Remove the motherboard battery
  • Come back in 10 minutes
  • Put the battery back
  • Plug in the wall
  • Flip PSU switch to on
  • Start system

What is your PSU? Brand and model.

Reactions: yifesyuju

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
If it is still not working and you get your compressed air, I would try removing the power supply, and blow all the dust out of it. If you are careful you may be able to remove the cover of the power supply to get better access to clean the dust out.

It sounds weird, but I have seen servicemen use garden leaf blowers, to blow the dust out of electronic equipment. You can also use a clean paintbrush, to just brush the dust out gently.

Hope this helps.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth}

Last edited:

yifesyuju

Honorable
Apr 3, 2015
Hi everybody,

Thank you so much for your tips! And sorry I didn't get back to you sooner.

I've just tried resetting the BIOS by removing the CMOS battery as suggested by @Nemesia and the BIOS now starts! I also used the compressed air canister on the MB while waiting those 10 mins.

The next issue I'm finding is that the factory BIOS settings prevent the OS (Ubuntu) from starting , so the next step is figuring out what I should change.

Thank you all!

GoofyOne

Commendable
Apr 4, 2021
Maybe check if your BIOS is defaulted to 'secure boot' mode, or 'fast boot', or could be something to do with the 'uefi' settings. Depends on your version of Ubuntu I think. The latest Linux kernels should be ok with 'secure boot' mode but you would have to double check.

{GoofyOne's 2c worth ... whilst he ponders how many million people will visit the Linus Torvalds statue at the Linux museum each year .... }

Solution