GIGABYTE GA-Z170X-Gaming 7 USB DAC-UP port

squallboogie

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Well I just upgraded my Motherboard and cpu with the GA-Z170 and all went well. All the USB ports worked just fine. A couple of days later, today, I notice that my bluetooth device is not plugged in. I look in the back, and it is. I then unplug it and plug it into another port and it works just fine. I then plug my phone into the port and nothing happens, not even a charge. I then go to device manager and check that all ports are up to date, and they are. I then go to power management tab and deselect the option to turn off the device to conserve power. Still not working. I then uninstall the usb drivers and allow windows to reinstall them, and it still doesn't function. I cant think of anything else to do, and I didn't change anything in the BIOS. The port isn't all the important to me, as I have a few extra on the front of my case, but I rather not have wires running out of the front. Any other suggestions, or did the port die?

Solution
Have a look in you BIOS under Power Management, there is a setting named USB DAC Power, make sure it's set to Enabled. It's supposed to default to enabled. If it's enabled already, try disable it, save exit, then go back in and enable it.

Also I don't know if GigaByte has control of this feature via a Windows utility, but you might want to check through any GigaByte utilities that you have installed and see if there is a control over this feature.

However if you tried a keyboard in this port and it didn't work to get into the BIOS then it's most likely either the power is disabled via the BIOS setting I mentioned first, or the port or dedicated power for that port is faulty.
I'd get a flashlight and have a look to make sure the contacts are still in good shape on that connector. Usually there are two ports per root hub. They are generally paired in a single block, so if the other in that block works, it's unlikely a faulty chip. It could be a fault in the traces or the solder connection to the connector block. Obviously either of these two failures are beyond your repair.

Have you tried to plug something into it outside Windows? Try your keyboard and go into your BIOS and see if it works. This will completely eliminate any OS / driver issues.

I also forgot to ask, is this a USB 3.0 port or USB 2.0?

squallboogie

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I have tried plugging the keyboard into the ports and booting up, still doesn't work. The port is USB 3.0, and it uses some technology called DAC-UP, which supposedly makes the power not fluctuate as much, but only in those two ports.

Have a look in you BIOS under Power Management, there is a setting named USB DAC Power, make sure it's set to Enabled. It's supposed to default to enabled. If it's enabled already, try disable it, save exit, then go back in and enable it.

Also I don't know if GigaByte has control of this feature via a Windows utility, but you might want to check through any GigaByte utilities that you have installed and see if there is a control over this feature.

However if you tried a keyboard in this port and it didn't work to get into the BIOS then it's most likely either the power is disabled via the BIOS setting I mentioned first, or the port or dedicated power for that port is faulty.

Solution

squallboogie

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
That's odd. The option is in the BIOS and it was disabled, enabling it fixes the issue and the ports now function. It was working just fine for a few days, and then it stopped, and I don't recall turning it off. Before I changed it back I tried restoring defaults, and it was still disabled. I also enabled it and tried restoring defaults, and it stayed enabled. It's like its selective defaults for certain thing. Thanks for tip!