[SOLVED] Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI not starting up

CrispyBytes

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Hi,
I put my PC to sleep last night and this morning it refused to start up. There is power to the mobo's front panel (3v across the power switch pins) and also power to the rear USB ports, but the CPU fan doesn't start up. The GPU fans also did not start up (GPU has now been removed).

What I have tried so far:

• Tried PSU and cables with a different PC (all OK)
  • Replaced the CMOS battery
  • Cleared the CMOS
  • Removed mobo from case
  • Stripped down the mobo, so that only the CPU, cooler and 1 stick of RAM are installed (have tried two different sticks in the no1 slot)
  • Only 24ATX and CPU power are connected
  • Tried a different fan plugged into the CPU
  • Tried replacement power and reset switches on the front panel pins

I have attached some photos of how it is currently set up.

I have not yet removed the cooler, but have tried a different fan, and have included shots from underneath the cooler.

System spec is as follows (just the items that are currently installed for the bench test):

Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI
Vengence 8GB DDR4 2400MHz
Corsair RM550 Gold PSU
i7-6700 3.4Ghz CPU

Could anybody please advise on next steps? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
First thing i see is your ram is in the wrong slot, should be in the other gray slot or 2nd slot away from the cpu. The slot you have your ram in is the #4 slot, the #1 slot is closest to the CPU. Put your ram in slot #2 I stand corrected, looking at your board and the manual it looks like gigabyte has changed the ram layout

But from what your saying that not even the fans spin up it sounds like the motherboard died.

I would pull the cooler and cpu, maybe even the motherboard heatsink blocks and really clean the board. Under the block next to the cpu looks really dirty, i get a can of compressed air and blow out all the ram and pci slots.
First thing i see is your ram is in the wrong slot, should be in the other gray slot or 2nd slot away from the cpu. The slot you have your ram in is the #4 slot, the #1 slot is closest to the CPU. Put your ram in slot #2 I stand corrected, looking at your board and the manual it looks like gigabyte has changed the ram layout

But from what your saying that not even the fans spin up it sounds like the motherboard died.

I would pull the cooler and cpu, maybe even the motherboard heatsink blocks and really clean the board. Under the block next to the cpu looks really dirty, i get a can of compressed air and blow out all the ram and pci slots.

Last edited:
Reactions: CrispyBytes
Solution

CrispyBytes

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Thanks faalin.

It seems from the mobo manual that the right hand slot is No1 on this particular board (and the manual says use 1+2 or 3+4), and they have always previously been in the the two gray slots.

However, I have just tried the single stick in each separate slot, to be sure, but to avail.

CrispyBytes

Reputable
Aug 17, 2019
Finally got it sorted.

I tried again to clear the CMOS, using the board jumpers. I started to doubt how good a job I was doing, so decided to take the battery out and leave it out for an hour.

An hour later, hey presto, it started first time.

Thank you for the advice, which was much appreciated.