GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H BIOS troubleshooting insanity

griffon652

Reputable
Jan 26, 2015
I have had my computer for over 2 1/2 years without a single issue. About 1 month ago my computer just shut down randomly. It then restarted on its own but it did not even make it to the BIOS splash screen. Meaning after the restart nothing came up beside a blank screen. After turning the computer on and off a few times it would eventually start up. However, within a week this random shut down happened 100% of the time within 1-2 hours of the computer being on.

I took it to a computer repair shop and they diagnosed my graphics card to be faulty. I was a little surprised since I thought that the inability to even get to the BIOS screen suggested a motherboard issue (GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H CROSSFIRE SATA 3 USB 3 LGA 1155). I purchased aN ASUS GTX750TI-OC-2GD5 as a replacement.

I was informed by the shop that my BIOS needed to be flashed in order for the card to be compatible with my MB. When I looked this up online, it was indeed true so I told them to go ahead. When I got the computer back about 1 week ago the issue described above was solved and I haven’t had that issue again. However, I have a new problem that I can’t troubleshoot:

The first 4 days the computer worked fine. However, on the 4th day when I tried to turn on my computer it turned on for 2 seconds (literally) and shut down before even getting to the BIOS splash screen. Meaning the monitor was black and didn’t even get a signal. Then it restarted on its own and the old splash screen came up (the new splash screen after BIOS flash is COMPLTELY different then my old one). While at this screen I couldn't do anything. I couldn’t access the BIOS, F12, Q flash etc. All I can do is hit the power button to turn the computer off and try again.

While at this screen I get 1 beep (don't know what error code it is). Then after another 30 seconds another beep, this will happen three times and then the computer goes from the BIOS Splash to a blank screen and stays there. After turning the computer on and off a few times the new BIOS splash comes up and the computer starts normally. I tested it out to see how often this happens and I found that the computer will turn on normally about 3-5 times before this issue comes up again. I should mention that when the computer does turn on normally, I don’t have any glitches or problems using the computer. It works perfectly.

Does anyone have any ideas what the problem is and how to fix it? Could this be a MB hardware issue or just faulty BIOS?

CYBERPOWER PC CUSTOM DESKTOP
GIGABYTE GA-Z77-D3H
I5-2550K 3.4 GHZ
ASUS GTX750TI-OC
8GB CORSAIR VENGANCE
SANDISK EXTREME 120GB SSD (MAIN)
1TB SATA III 7200 RPM
XTREMEGEAR 700 WATT PSU

Solution
you may have more then one issue with your pc and it may have not been repaired right the first time. with the shutdown and hard turning on of the pc I would have tried another power supply first to make sure i had known good power to the pc. before i started swapping parts. on newer mb they have two bios chips now. most times you have to run the bios upodater 2x to update both bios chips. if not your rig may be falling over to the back up bios.
for the rig..try one ram stick and onboard video with a new power supply or a test unit..if the pc boots fine..add the other ram back and then the gpu...if the pc starts to act up with a known good power supply and gpu...it may be a bad mb.
you may have more then one issue with your pc and it may have not been repaired right the first time. with the shutdown and hard turning on of the pc I would have tried another power supply first to make sure i had known good power to the pc. before i started swapping parts. on newer mb they have two bios chips now. most times you have to run the bios upodater 2x to update both bios chips. if not your rig may be falling over to the back up bios.
for the rig..try one ram stick and onboard video with a new power supply or a test unit..if the pc boots fine..add the other ram back and then the gpu...if the pc starts to act up with a known good power supply and gpu...it may be a bad mb.

Solution