Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H Motherboard, Windows 7, deleted usb3 root hub drivers, unable to update

Valdrec

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017
Hello,
I have deleted my USB3 Root Hub drivers. This has meant that my wireless connection, mouse and keyboard do not work.

However, I was able to start in safe mode with networking, and discovered that the front two USB slots will still work in safe mode. I was able to use one for my wireless connection (as ethernet cable could not update to function, but more on that later) and the other for my keyboard.

In safe mode, I am unable to prompt my drivers to update (in device manager), as they cannot find the update, even when I am connected to the internet, even when I enabled Windows Installer in safe mode.

I was able to download what I believe to be the correct driver software, but when I attempt to run the downloaded data, it tells me that my computer does not have room (it does).
I feel I would not have this problem if I were not in safe mode, but then of course comes the issue that I cannot use mouse or keyboard, and I have no keyboards easily available to me that are not USB connections.

I was hoping that in safe mode with networking, I would be able to prompt them to automatically update the drivers (as device manager does recognise that they are connected devices) but to no such luck.

I have no restore points to revert back to, and I do not wish to do any dramatic reinstallation. I believe it should be possible to just install the drivers - somehow - but I am seemingly caught in all angles.

Please, any possible solutions that I have not already tried would be welcome.

Solution
A friend has recommended I try the motherboard drivers.
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z77X-UD3H-rev-11#support-dl-driver-usb30

Update: This ended up being the solution.
I thank you all for your time an contribution to this problem. I had messaged many experienced people in the hopes of finding out a solution to this problem I had posted in the Motherboard forum.

My very good friend just happened to take one look at the issue and suggested the motherboard drivers. I didn't need to do a fresh install or upgrade to windows 10 or anything like what was suggested.
I hope that this thread will help anyone in the same situation in future.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
If I were you I'd try a Windows installation repair. Its available in the boot menu then you select to go to safe mode. If it won't work then I'd suggest downloading Windows Installation media from another machine and creating a bootable USB then doing the repair from there. Make sure to select "Keep my files and folders" and it should fix it. Other than that you're looking at a reformat, when you deleted those drivers you likely broke something in the registry somewhere.

Valdrec

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017

That first link redirects me to this:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10ISO?ranMID=24542&ranEAID=kXQk6*ivFEQ&ranSiteID=kXQk6.ivFEQ-JznP8d0YndnU_LvcKQ8B0g&epi=kXQk6.ivFEQ-JznP8d0YndnU_LvcKQ8B0g&irgwc=1&OCID=AID681541_aff_7593_1243925&tduid=(ir_5005eaabNab221cd9675c16c122131c29)(7593)(1243925)(kXQk6.ivFEQ-JznP8d0YndnU_LvcKQ8B0g)()&irclickid=5005eaabNab221cd9675c16c122131c29

"You’ve been routed to this page because the operating system you’re using won’t support the Windows 10 media creation tool and we want to make sure you can download Windows 10."

I get this page even when I am on a windows 10 device.

Valdrec

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017

How would I typically got about doing that? I've not been able to install anything in safe mode so far.

Colif

Win 11 Master
You can't install drivers in safe mode anyway, as far as I know.

would a win 7 ISO help when win 7 doesn't have USB 3 by default? How would it replace drivers it doesn't have?

fresh install is painful but might be only option. If you don't have a key, install win 10 and run it unactivated until you can afford one. It has USB drivers built into Operating system and a system repair would work for it.

Valdrec

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017

Thank you for the clarity, I figured something was up with those options.
Fresh install seems very painful. Is it not possible to somehow manually re-add the drivers? I appreciate that I may be clutching at straws there.

I absolutely desperately don't want windows 10. Windows 7 has been ideal, but I'd rather switch to an entirely different operating system (like linux) before windows 10. I appreciate also that this could make a solution somewhat trickier.

arajigar

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2016
You can't install drivers in safe mode anyway, as far as I know.

Errr, sorry...you CAN.:D Like when you use DDU with GPU drivers and then install the GPU drivers after DDU cleaned your system. All that steps are done in safe mode, the program indeed advices you to do so. :)

Valdrec

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017

I'm not really familiar with a lot of the terms there, but when I attempted to prompt device manager to search for drivers in safe mode, nothing happened. Would you be able to guide me through to process?

Valdrec

Reputable
Mar 20, 2017
A friend has recommended I try the motherboard drivers.
https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Motherboard/GA-Z77X-UD3H-rev-11#support-dl-driver-usb30

Update: This ended up being the solution.
I thank you all for your time an contribution to this problem. I had messaged many experienced people in the hopes of finding out a solution to this problem I had posted in the Motherboard forum.

My very good friend just happened to take one look at the issue and suggested the motherboard drivers. I didn't need to do a fresh install or upgrade to windows 10 or anything like what was suggested.
I hope that this thread will help anyone in the same situation in future.

Solution