[SOLVED] Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 + TPM

Jun 26, 2021
I have the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 motherboard and I read that Windows 11 requires TPM turned on.
But unfortunately I can not find "TPM" or "Trusted Computing" in the BIOS.
Does the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 have a TPM chip at all?
Thank you for your help!

OLLI

Solution
I have the Gigabyte GA-Z97X-Gaming 3 motherboard and I read that Windows 11 requires TPM turned on.
Thank you for your help!

OLLI
Well, yes, your motherboard has a TPM header in the middle down by the USB and front panel headers, but the actual module does not come with most motherboards. See page 30 of your MANUAL to see its location. And note that yours is a 20 pin header, not the newer 14-1 type. Not sure where you can get them, but I expect that as W11 gets closer more will become available.

The newer type module runs around $15 but they are out of stock everywhere...

RealBeast

Titan
Thank you for your help!

OLLI
Well, yes, your motherboard has a TPM header in the middle down by the USB and front panel headers, but the actual module does not come with most motherboards. See page 30 of your MANUAL to see its location. And note that yours is a 20 pin header, not the newer 14-1 type. Not sure where you can get them, but I expect that as W11 gets closer more will become available.

The newer type module runs around $15 but they are out of stock everywhere because very few people wanted them. W11 will change that though.

Reactions: OLLI_S
Solution
Thank you for your help!

OLLI

Which Intel CPU do you have?
Many Intel CPUs have TPM built into the CPU.
Or you could get a GC TPM 2 (around $20) and install it into the motherboard TPM header.
Windows 10 support will continue at least for 4 more years so you have time to consider your options.

Reactions: OLLI_S
Jun 26, 2021
Am I right hat my mainboard has no TPM module and the CPU also noes not support TPM?
So I have to buy either a TPM module that fits in my motherboard or I have to upgrade my rig.

Am I right hat my mainboard has no TPM module and the CPU also noes not support TPM?
So I have to buy either a TPM module that fits in my motherboard or I have to upgrade my rig.
Lets not get ahead of ourselves.
Windows 11 have not been released and TPM was also a requirement back when Windows 8.1 was announced.
Windows 10 will be supported for several years and you never know if you will have that system when the time comes to move to Windows 11.

I noticed a jump in price of TPM modules on eBay and Amazon.
Some are taking advantage of the situation and started scalping TPM modules.
Some devices were listed for $15-20 and now the same modules are listed 3x to 6x the price.

Reactions: xMR1x and OLLI_S
Jun 26, 2021
@jojesa You are right!
Windows 11 was just announced and until the release this requirement might change.
This is in my eyes the most possible scenario (the <Mod Edit> storm will be huge otherwise).

If not, I can think about ordering a TPM module some months after release (when the prices are normal again).
And maybe I also have a new rig at this time (but I try to keep mine as long as possible).

Last edited by a moderator: