Gigabyte Gaming GT Desktop Review

Status
Not open for further replies.
To summarize.
- It has a weak PSU
- Outdated CPU
- Outdated Chipset
- No Overclocking on a chipset and CPU designed for overclocking

All it has going for it is a decent price. No overclocking is BS. You don't buy an off brand PC for a locked down BIOS and crap PSU. That's what you buy a Dell or HP for.

They'd have a real winner at that price with a decent 550w PSU and a standard full featured BIOS. You know, like in the Motherboards they sell.

What is with these reviews of old hardware? Your publication is wasting resources reviewing old tech. Anyone who comes here regularly is well aware of what a GTX 1070, i7-6700K, &c. is capable of. There was nothing new revealed. This product came out last year.

All I can think is that this computer was a flop. So, Gigabyte dropped the price and paid for a plug. Just to try and clear out a pile of old inventory nobody wanted.

kewlguy239

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012
KIBITZER76, if you scroll down the Newegg product page and look at the specs tab, the GTX 1070 is correctly attributed to this model. The main spec summary at the top is inaccurate (I've reached out to Newegg about this). Good eye!

To be fair they did mention it was in the shape of a trashcan ...

SayNO2BS

Prominent
Jul 19, 2017
At $1100, is there any intel or ryzen build that can beat it at $1100? This is unrivaled value. The 6700K will out run any ryzen for gaming performance. With crypto miners jacking up the GTX1070 to over $500, $100 for Windows 10, what can you build for $500 for the rest of the machine. Heck microcenter has i7-6700k and 7700k at $300, so that is $200 left. 16GB for memory will take up $100, that leave $100 for motherboard and storage... How do you get a nvme 240GB SSD, mobo, CPU cooler, hdmi cables, dvi cables, and 1TB HDD under $100? It can't be done. This is massive value.

Heck buy it and sell the parts and you might even come out ahead by $200.

kewlguy239

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2012

I would have to take most of the blame for the late entry of this review. The device was shipped to me in March, but a combination of travel and other projects kept me away from the desktop review beat for a while. Now that I'm back on it, it was a happy coincidence that Gigabyte dropped the price, and because the product is still readily available, we thought it was still worth the review. We have another Z170 review coming out soon too, under the exact same circumstances (still available, price dropped). But don't worry, Z270 reviews are on the way!

The idea that Gigabyte or any other company pays us for "plugs" is laughable. I did basically refer to it as a trash can, so how does that work for an official endorsement? Furthermore, the award status is always up to the editorial staff, and for the pricing alone we felt it was worth at least a recommended award (the lowest of our applicable awards). We know good deals when we see them, and despite the Gaming GT's shortcomings (no overclocking, grrrr), we feel it's worth a nod for the hardware inside.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
Buy this, strip the parts out, get a used/referb MB better PS and new case.
You could sell the 1070 on eBay and get a Vega 64 or you could sell the 1070 on eBay and keep the GPU you have.
Turn the original into a HTPC with a few parts.
Many options if you have the bucks.

Ah, the sudden influx of reviews of old tech was just starting to get suspicious.

Anyways, I don't think your review unit and the link for Newegg are the same. As far as I can tell the linked unit does not have an OS installed. It is sold under the barebone category. While the review mentioned software being included. Perhaps I missed it but I saw no mention of you having to install Windows.

I suppose that is why Gigabyte has to sell them at a discount. The market of people whom are confident enough to install an OS but not assemble a computer yet spend what was originally close to $2K must be quite small.

Finally someone with a common sense comment here. That was my first thought as well with an OEM copy of Win10 and a GTX 1070. You are looking at $600+ spent out of the gate just with those two. But I will say this appears to be more in line with a gaming laptop than a SFF mATX PC build. Especially with the laptop SODIMM memory and no overclocking. A 1440p gaming laptop with these specs would be nearly a thousand more. I don't think the people poo-pooing this understand it. So what if it has Sky Lake over Kaby Lake? Like that makes a big difference.

It's a very interesting concept at a very competitive price compared to what one can build on his own. I could see gamers having this as their Steam & GOG gamer sitting right next to their XB1 or PS4 in their HDTV console.

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014
Thank you for the review. Despite how many will bash things like this, it's nice to at least see an attempt for something functional and different. At $1700 it was way overpriced but at $1100 it really takes some effort to beat for the whole package.

I agree the look is odd to put it politely, but I do like the wrap-around ventilation at the top.

I also believe it would be a good target for either someone trying to transition from console to PC w/o having to do all their homework from scratch or someone's first gaming pc. Someone getting one of these would enjoy the benefits while learning how to build as they upgrade.

Luis XFX

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2013
I like it, I normally build my own PCs, but this is a pretty good price for the CPU and GPU combo. Also, I don't see how the 6700 is aging, I'm still on my 2500k, and just recently began looking to upgrade since there has yet to really be a reason to. If anything I am only looking to upgrade because I'm looking at getting a 1070 or 1080. I recall seeing the 7700 review and aside from less power use, it was almost identical in capability to the 6700.

erickmendes

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2012
I built mini ITX gaming rigs and let me say it (if nobody already told...), that's a ugly mo**** fu****... Really, REALLY ugly... And that heat venting system... Is it the batmobile of the gaming systems? Wt actual f? ... If we talk only about the aesthetics, it's totally '90s... Wth is happening in Gigabyte HQ?

ledhead11

Reputable
Oct 10, 2014

The 'aging' idea comes from those who believe anything over 30 days is old although I feel the author was being more sarcastic. My 2600k&4930k rigs must seem prehistoric despite the fact that they hold within 5-10% of the highest fps for even modern games & rigs. You're 2500k could still drive a 1080ti for 1440p gaming as long as it's clocked above 4ghz. There's good reasons why so many people are still using their 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th gen CPUs still. Intel mainly has focused on adding some bells,whistles and power/heat optimizations for the last 7 years.

In regards to to 6700 vs 7700, well most tests on the planet have shown marginal at best increases since 4xxx series. The biggest gain with the 7700's was that under the right conditions people could finally break the 5ghz barrier with minimal effort but there was a bit more to the lottery effect in order to do this.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
To me it seems like:
Limited cooling => No headroom for overclocking (so it can be locked). => Limited power requirement (so a limited PSU is sufficient).
Hence these decisions.

The looks of the case is somewhat appealing to me, but noise would make it a no-go anyway.

mlee 2500

Honorable
Oct 20, 2014
If you want to play games but not futz around with hardware, then this is an outstanding deal as it gives you upper-mid level performance at a price hundreds less then if you built it on your own. The 1070 alone is going for >$500. Are you going to build an i7 system with 16GB RAM and NVMe storage for $600? No. You are not.

LionD

Reputable
Aug 19, 2014
What about noise levels? Any home PC must be (near)silent, period. I'll never even touch noisy PC, be it totally free and extremely powerful.

Olle P

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2010
I wonder if one could save some money (compared to a "clean" build) by buying this computer and combine it with:
* A regular lower end Z170 or Z270 motherboard.
* A low cost computer case.
* A low cost CPU cooler.
Use CPU, RAM, graphices card, storage, PSU (if possible) and Windows license from the GT.
Should reduce the noise problem and support some OC.

You may very well have a point, depending on how inflated the 1070 gets. However, you know it's more or less pathetic when a premade computer is only bought with the hopes of being able to make a profit off the sum of its parts lol. How about that PSU? What's the solution for that? Paperweight?

Status
Not open for further replies.