[SOLVED] Gigabyte Gaming OC 3080 Thermals

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Hey everyone,

I managed to pick up the 3080 mentioned in the title, and noticed under load temps were hitting 80C.

Is this normal? I haven't been able to find what the max safe temps for ampere are. I'm using an NZXT h510 case so the ventilation isn't the best, but still expected better thermals than this.

Solution
I’m using a Fractal Design Vector RS for my rig. Not the best airflow but I like the look and it seems to do well with noise. Following my latest changes the system is still very quiet, no louder than before and nearly inaudible when under the desk. I was ok with 73c but I had a feeling I could get it down further as it seemed likely the problem was not that it was not getting enough air in but more likely it had insufficient exhaust. I suspected this by the gradual increase in temperature over 10+ mins which suggested a build up of heat inside the case from insufficient exhaust. At 69c I doubt a case with better airflow would make more than a few degrees difference to gpu temperature based on the benchmarks and reviews I’ve seen of the...

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Thank you, appreciated.

Do you have 2 intake and 2 exhaust fans in your case? I think that’s the most you can fit. Does the temperature slowly rise to 80c or is it quick while running a benchmark/game? If it’s a slow rise that is a sign the hot air is building up in the case.
yea all fan slots are populated

I have a 280mm AIO in the front with two 120mm noctua fans for exhaust in the top and back positions

the temperature builds up slowly after hitting around 75C so you might be right that hot air is building up in the case

im guessing the only thing i can do is to ramp up exhaust fan speeds?

Ok got mine up and running and max temperature is 73c however it starts at about 68c and creeps up to 73c. Haven’t played with my case fan curves so that is the next thing I will be doing. I know my case isn’t setup with the best cooling option as I currently have a glass top but I can swap to a mesh top and then add top fans. At the moment I only have 1x140mm exhaust. I want to avoid putting the mesh top on as I really like the look of the glass top but I always knew it sacrificed cooling.

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Ok got mine up and running and max temperature is 73c however it starts at about 68c and creeps up to 73c. Haven’t played with my case fan curves so that is the next thing I will be doing. I know my case isn’t setup with the best cooling option as I currently have a glass top but I can swap to a mesh top and then add top fans. At the moment I only have 1x140mm exhaust. I want to avoid putting the mesh top on as I really like the look of the glass top but I always knew it sacrificed cooling.

your temps don't sound too bad

btw I found out there are two BIOS with the default being silent. After switching to the OC BIOS, I was able to get higher fan speeds. Currently I'm at 75C max with fans hitting about 2100 rpm

your temps don't sound too bad

btw I found out there are two BIOS with the default being silent. After switching to the OC BIOS, I was able to get higher fan speeds. Currently I'm at 75C max with fans hitting about 2100 rpm
Yeah temps are not too bad but I’m fairly sure it could be kept under 70c with better airflow. I noticed the pcie cables are probably obstructing the airflow to the last fan so I’m going to try re-routing them.

Id forgotten about the dual BIOS. Given the performance I’d guess it’s in the default OC position.

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
Yeah temps are not too bad but I’m fairly sure it could be kept under 70c with better airflow. I noticed the pcie cables are probably obstructing the airflow to the last fan so I’m going to try re-routing them.

Id forgotten about the dual BIOS. Given the performance I’d guess it’s in the default OC position.

Are you using airflow fans or an AIO in the front? I think your front air intake might have something to do with your better thermals. Not much air is making it past my AIO.

Are you using airflow fans or an AIO in the front? I think your front air intake might have something to do with your better thermals. Not much air is making it past my AIO.
I’ve got a 360mm AIO at the front and I had 1 140mm at the bottom and another at top/rear as an exhaust. I’ve just upgraded the exhaust to a Corsair ML140 Pro and moved the old exhaust to be a 2nd intake at the bottom. The result is the max temperature is a 4c lower @69c and it normalises much quicker and does gradually creep up further. All with no noticeable increase in noise.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Another H500 thread, huh? Lemme take a look here...

As you already know, the airflow potential in that chassis is weak - it can be worked with, but it requires a sacrifice on your end.
I don't know what the cpu is, but I'm willing to bet that the gpu is easily the the more power sucking device.
You should've used the front hybrid cooler installation on the gpu instead. This is a common mistake people make with high end gaming gpus in the H500 series.
Now you're experiencing so-so thermals on the gpu and are having to brute force fans to yield thermals you are more comfortable with, though now fans are probably too loud. ¯\(ツ)
A)Stick with the brute force method.
B)Move it to a more airflow friendly chassis.
C)Hybrid cool the gpu. The 3080 is new, so compatible kits are likely not available yet.

I’m using a Fractal Design Vector RS for my rig. Not the best airflow but I like the look and it seems to do well with noise. Following my latest changes the system is still very quiet, no louder than before and nearly inaudible when under the desk. I was ok with 73c but I had a feeling I could get it down further as it seemed likely the problem was not that it was not getting enough air in but more likely it had insufficient exhaust. I suspected this by the gradual increase in temperature over 10+ mins which suggested a build up of heat inside the case from insufficient exhaust. At 69c I doubt a case with better airflow would make more than a few degrees difference to gpu temperature based on the benchmarks and reviews I’ve seen of the 3080. Overall I’m happy with it, sure it would be easier to achieve these temps with a case that had better airflow but for the cost of an additional high quality fan I’ve achieved good temps and a nice looking setup.

Last edited:
Solution
That chassis is a bit more flexible with cooling options, which is one of the 2 weaknesses of the H500 series.
The Vector RS even covers the other weakness presented by the H500 with the top exhaust options; it has an easier time getting heat out.
The H500 is mostly sealed up there, except for the top fan placement.
I do have the option of the top exhausts and mesh grill but I have been trying to avoid it. The glass top looks really nice, when the system is under the desk to the right I can see straight inside from both the side and the top.

Juffbox

Reputable
Apr 4, 2020
I decided to switch cases. Now I am using the Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh.

I've populated every fan slot with noctua fans including under the GPU. I'm getting max temps of about 69-70C with fans at around 50% speed. It's quieter and cooler.

Pretty glad to be done with the H510.

Reactions: sizzling