[SOLVED] Gigabyte Gaming V.S MSI Armour

Out of the two Graphics card types which one has the best cooling MSI Amour or Gigabyte gaming (With Windforce)?
I'm just trying to find out which type has the best cooling.

Many thanks

Last edited:
Solution
Through my four tests temperatures peaked at 75°C for the GPU under both Stress and Gaming conditions. That's an average of 73.25°C running 11.75°C cooler than the 85°C you recorded for your MSI Armour card. Is yours also a 2070 Super?

I know some MSI Armour card models have had cooling issues. Where 85°C is not a dangerous temperature to be at, it is a high temp for GPU's.

Based on your temps, my results, and reported issues on some Armour models -- I would say that the Gigabyte Windforce cards do better at cooling than MSI Armour.

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
Not sure if this helps, but my system has the Gigabyte Windforce 2070 Super OC 3x . I haven't had it long, but these are temperature results I have recorded. Unfortunately, I am receiving an error when attempting to post images.

3D Mark Stress Testing: Peak GPU Temp
Time Spy: 72°C
Port Royal: 72°C

Game: Peak GPU Temp
Shadow of the Tomb Raider Benchmark: 74°C
Control: 75°C

*Results may vary from case to case. Tested H1 Mini PC Pre-build system/case

Sep 21, 2020
Not sure if this helps, but my system has the Gigabyte Windforce 2070 Super OC 3x . I haven't had it long, but these are temperature results I have recorded. Unfortunately, I am receiving an error when attempting to post images.

3D Mark Stress Testing: Peak GPU Temp
Time Spy: 72°C
Port Royal: 72°C

Game: Peak GPU Temp
Shadow of the Tomb Raider Benchmark: 74°C
Control: 75°C

*Results may vary from case to case. Tested H1 Mini PC Pre-build system/case

Do you think Gigabyte runs cooler?
I personally have an MSI armour and it runs 85C when gaming

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
Through my four tests temperatures peaked at 75°C for the GPU under both Stress and Gaming conditions. That's an average of 73.25°C running 11.75°C cooler than the 85°C you recorded for your MSI Armour card. Is yours also a 2070 Super?

I know some MSI Armour card models have had cooling issues. Where 85°C is not a dangerous temperature to be at, it is a high temp for GPU's.

Based on your temps, my results, and reported issues on some Armour models -- I would say that the Gigabyte Windforce cards do better at cooling than MSI Armour.

Solution
Sep 21, 2020

I have the MSI armour RX580 OC (It might be hot because its factory overclocked)

Last edited:

SunRoseAlice

Reputable
Aug 19, 2020
MSI armour RX580 OC (It might be hot because its factory overclocked)

No, factory overclocking shouldn't do that. I have a 2070 Super Overclocked, comparable to a 1080ti, and I have yet to exceed 75°C.

A Tom's Hardware review here for the ASROCK Phantom Gaming X RX580 8G OC shows closed case temperatures peak at 80°C under load and 81.2° under stress (Furmark Torture loop). The cooler works as it should which is good, but temps are still on the higher end and the clock takes a hit.

Looking around a bit the MSI Radeon RX 580 Armour 8G OC also appears to run hot, so temps are likely similar to the ASROCK in case. The linked article doesn't say which case was used, but I'm certain they used a properly ventilated case, so your 85°C could be case related since 80°C appears to be the AAA gaming temp for a RC580 OC card.

*I couldn't find much on the MSI card beyond thread discussions. You may find something that I have not.

85°C won't hurt the card, but you won't be getting the most out of your card and I'm sure the fans are loud.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2020
No, factory overclocking shouldn't do that. I have a 2070 Super Overclocked, comparable to a 1080ti, and I have yet to exceed 75°C.

A Tom's Hardware review here for the ASROCK Phantom Gaming X RX580 8G OC shows closed case temperatures peak at 80°C under load and 81.2° under stress (Furmark Torture loop). The cooler works as it should which is good, but temps are still on the higher end and the clock takes a hit.

Looking around a bit the MSI Radeon RX 580 Armour 8G OC also appears to run hot, so temps are likely similar to the ASROCK in case. The linked article doesn't say which case was used, but I'm certain they used a properly ventilated case, so your 85°C could be case related since 80°C appears to be the AAA gaming temp for a RC580 OC card.

*I couldn't find much on the MSI card beyond thread discussions. You may find something that I have not.

85°C won't hurt the card, but you won't be getting the most out of your card and I'm sure the fans are loud.

Yeah i should just get a Gigabyte Gaming thanks
I was planning to upgrade