Question Gigabyte Gaming X (Z390) - XMP problem

Jul 12, 2019
Hi, I have recently assembled a new computer but I have run into some troubles with my DDRs.

I have:
MOBO: Z390 Gaming X
CPU: i7 - 9700k
PSU: EVGA 650 BQ

I have nothing else installed at the moment and I am running the mobo on 8 pins only (for CPU). I think this should be enough without overclocking the CPU, right?

As I had problems with my original DDRs I have tested several types. Both in dual channel, single channel as well as rotated through all slots one by one. I have also tested all the sticks in a second computer and they work perfectly there.

I am getting the following results all the time:

When I plug in the first set of DDRs (HX432C18FBK2/32 - HyperX Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 CL18) the computer goes into the boot loop (always reseting with DRAM light on after few seconds) and it does so forever.

When I tested second DDRs (HX432C16PB3K2/16 - HyperX Predator 16GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 CL16) the computer fails in the first attempt to boot but boots into the bios in the second round. It gives me the error message stating that the system experienced a boot failure due to the incorrect configuration and sets the memory speed to 2400 Mhz (i.e., turns off the XMP). Since then it runs perfectly without XMP but when I turn the XMP on again, the problem re-occures (no matter what profile I choose).

Finally, I also tested the native speed DDRs (HX426C16FBK2/32 - HyperX Fury 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 2666 CL16). These sticks usually run perfectly. Nevertheless, after I unplug the power cable from my PSU for more than 30s the motherboard flashes once brightly after cca 30s. If I turn on the computer after this again the computer goes through one failed boot loop and then it runs perfectly (with no message in bios). Is that normal?

Do you have any ideas why my motherboard does not like to run the second set of sticks in XMP mode or why it fails for the first set? Do you have any ideas about what should I test further? The components are brand new so I am trying to figure out the root of the problem so I could possibly apply my warranty.

Thanks in advance for any tips.

Last edited:
Jul 12, 2019
Have you ever tried installing the other CPU power connector as well? Just for testing? If not, try installing it and then try running the three kits again. Are you on the latest BIOS?

Hi, thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, my PSU did not come with the extra 4pin so I don't have the ability to test it. I am running on F6 BIOS, I think it is the latest one, am I right?

Hi, thank you for your answer. Unfortunately, my PSU did not come with the extra 4pin so I don't have the ability to test it. I am running on F6 BIOS, I think it is the latest one, am I right?
F8 is the latest BIOS, download it from here:

https://www.gigabyte.com/in/Motherboard/Z390-GAMING-X-rev-10/support#support-dl-bios

Maybe you should consider getting a PSU that has the required connectors for your CPU, even if you don't overclock, this might fix your issue.

Jul 12, 2019
I have solved my issue. Thanks for the help! For those having a similar problem, this is how:

First, I have tested a new PSU with all 12 connectors but that did not help at all. The extra 4 pins are really only for cases when you need extra power during extreme overclocking.

Finally, I decided to update BIOS and that solved my issues. I did not do it earlier as I was afraid about the warranty in case the MB is faulty. But I have tested a different one and ended up with the same behavior so I decided to give it a try.

Turned out that my i7-9700k is in revision R0 which is fully supported only from BIOS version F7 while the previous version of the CPU (P0) is supported already from F4. This explains the instability when using XMP profiles I experienced.