Gigabyte GC-TPM Module Installed on GB Z170MX-Gaming 5 Mobo - BitLocker

ScottNY

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
I couldn't setup BitLocker because Win 10 said it couldn't find a TPM module. After poking around here, I went to the BIOS-->Peripherals to verify that TRUSTED COMPUTING said ENABLED. I still couldn't set up BitLocker. When I went back to the BIOS, I noticed a line that said INTEL PLATFORM TRUST TECHNOLOGY (PTT) and it was set for DISABLED. I changed it to ENABLE and now I can access the BitLocker setup. Did I do the right thing? Is my PC taking advantage of the TPM chip or is it using the alternative method of using BitLocker without a TPM chip? I'm very confused.

Thanks!

Boot into windows go to control panel / bitlocker / TPM admin. If it says its ready then you can use it.

Altho depending on the revision of the TPM module, it will have probs if you installed a 3.19 TPM module

It wont boot sometimes, if you installed the Creators update. You have to install a TPM 2 module if the Creators update is installed

ScottNY

Commendable
Nov 19, 2016
Well, things were going fine and then I realized BitLocker setup would only allow me to create a key, not a password. I don't want to be dependent on a USB stick. Am I doing something wrong? I want to be able to use a password. I am getting a "some settings are managed by your system administrator" message, but this is a new PC and not networked.

P.S. My PC isn't activated yet. Could that be part of the problem?