[SOLVED] Gigabyte GE-S550A-D1

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
Will this PSU work with a nvidia gtx 560 im building up a pc just for my son to play on small games etc i got this psu from a friend and the gpu i owned long years ago i see the gpu have 2 x 6pin connecters slots and the psu have one 8pin with a 4pin extension some of the cables are missing there are 2 slots on the psu which says PCI-E 4 and 3 i guess that is now probly the cables i need to connect the gpu? If i must buy some cables will i only need one to connect to one of the pci e ports to the gpu or will it be 2 cables from the pci e port 3 and 4 to the gpu's two 6pin slots?

Sorry if it sounds a bit confusing will explain better if needed

Solution
Yeah, the problem with new cables is the pinout issue. This is an ancient PSU even if it was solid at the time and PSU cables are not standardized on the side that connects into the PSU. You'll likely need to contact Gigabyte here; you only tend to see aftermarket PSU cables for popular models. Using a mystery cable can have results anywhere from you lucking out from the pinout being the same to you no longer having a PC.

Given the trouble and the fact that even in the best case scenario, you'll be buying cables for a PSU over a decade old, I'd just get a decent bargain unit. Something like a Corsair CX 450 would be just fine for a build like this.

If it's not something the computer store just happens to have handy, then I...
Will this PSU work with a nvidia gtx 560 im building up a pc just for my son to play on small games etc i got this psu from a friend and the gpu i owned long years ago i see the gpu have 2 x 6pin connecters slots and the psu have one 8pin with a 4pin extension some of the cables are missing there are 2 slots on the psu which says PCI-E 4 and 3 i guess that is now probly the cables i need to connect the gpu? If i must buy some cables will i only need one to connect to one of the pci e ports to the gpu or will it be 2 cables from the pci e port 3 and 4 to the gpu's two 6pin slots?

Sorry if it sounds a bit confusing will explain better if needed
The 8-pin with 4 pin ext. is for the motherboard power. The GTX 560 does require both 6-pin PCIe power cables to operate properly and the power supply you mentioned does come with them. If you don't have the cables it's a problem, unless you can get them from the manufacturer. I don't recommend adapters as they can be unsafe.

ruanwagenaar27

Honorable
Sep 5, 2017
The 8-pin with 4 pin ext. is for the motherboard power. The GTX 560 does require both 6-pin PCIe power cables to operate properly and the power supply you mentioned does come with them. If you don't have the cables it's a problem, unless you can get them from the manufacturer. I don't recommend adapters as they can be unsafe.

Ok thanks alot i looked everywhere cant find them will give a phone call for our pc shop maybe they can make a plan or get another psu cables that is the same

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Yeah, the problem with new cables is the pinout issue. This is an ancient PSU even if it was solid at the time and PSU cables are not standardized on the side that connects into the PSU. You'll likely need to contact Gigabyte here; you only tend to see aftermarket PSU cables for popular models. Using a mystery cable can have results anywhere from you lucking out from the pinout being the same to you no longer having a PC.

Given the trouble and the fact that even in the best case scenario, you'll be buying cables for a PSU over a decade old, I'd just get a decent bargain unit. Something like a Corsair CX 450 would be just fine for a build like this.

If it's not something the computer store just happens to have handy, then I wouldn't bother getting them involved it all. If you do anything the store charges for, you'll quickly owe far more than the cost of just getting the new PSU.

Solution