Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE 6G blocks power on

Sep 8, 2018
Hi, I recently obtained a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 WINDFORCE 6G. When I install it my computer won't power on. Not even a beep. If I detach the 6-pin power supply, my computer starts, but hangs (black screen).

I read these lines in the manual: "In order to ensure that your graphics card can work correctly, please use
official GIGABYTE BIOS only. Using non-official GIGABYTE BIOS might cause
problem(s) on the graphics card." I have a MSI Z370 GAMING PRO CARBON AC motherboard not a Gigabyte one. Could that be an issue?

I have a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W power supply and this should be sufficient.

I also read that it could be that the graphics card is defective. Do yo think the same or do you think it could be an incompatibility issue or a BIOS setting I didn't change. My current MSI 2GB GTX 1050 2GT LP graphics card works as it should be.

Sep 8, 2018

Thank you for clearing the BIOS issue up.
The other end (which is marked PSU) is plugged in in a CPU/PCI-E labeled socket on the PSU. There are multiple sockets, I just picked one and it sits tight (I hear a click when pushing it in).I reseated it a few times. I will check again.

Sep 8, 2018
I contacted Gigabyte and they said update your BIOS and contact your vendor. I already had the latest BIOS, but I opened Device Manager and updated manually all drivers that could automatically be updated.

I then tried another time. It didn't work.
Then I switched the power supply cable to the graphics card en this time my system booted (and automatically installed the graphics card driver).

So, my issue is solved although I don't know why: maybe it was a defective cable, maybe it was the drivers update (there was a PCI-E related driver amongst them)

(I cannot pick my own answer as a solution apparently)