Question Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 GAMING OC 6G - Fans stopped working

arquillos

Commendable
Jan 3, 2019
Hi!
the two fans of my Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1660 GAMING OC 6G has stopped working.
I don´t know what to do as the card seems to work. It gets very hot in a few minutes (+-90C) but no other problem besides the stopped fans

- Is there anyway to check if the fans are broken? (two fans at the same time broken? it seems strange to me)
The fan conectors to the GPU board is a 4 pin all black cables. Does anyone know if I can try connecting the fans to the PSU to check them?

Other idea would be to buy a fans replacement. Is there any "quality" replacement out there?

Thank you very much!

arquillos

Commendable
Jan 3, 2019
download the MSI afterburner and try to force your fans to spin.

No luck! Thanks!

If still in warranty you can claim RMA with Gigabyte.

not in warranty anymore :(, Thanks

Today I dissasembled the two fans and tested them with a 12V power source...Fans are running fine.

So I figured out one next step...try to connect the two fans directly to the PC PSU (Pin 1 -GND; 2-12V, Not used pins: 3 RPM signal and 4 PWM Signal from MB).
  • The Fans will be spinning when the PC is turned on...so GPU will not get got...(good news)
  • I don´t know if the Fans lifespan will be affected ("always" on) (bad news) but it will be cheap to buy spare ones if the stop working
  • I don´t think that connecting the fans directly to the PSU will harm the PSU in anyway? Any idea?
  • Connecting only GND and 12V will harm the Fans (not connecting RPM and PWM)?
What do you think?

woot

Distinguished
No luck! Thanks!

not in warranty anymore :(, Thanks

Today I dissasembled the two fans and tested them with a 12V power source...Fans are running fine.

So I figured out one next step...try to connect the two fans directly to the PC PSU (Pin 1 -GND; 2-12V, Not used pins: 3 RPM signal and 4 PWM Signal from MB).
  • The Fans will be spinning when the PC is turned on...so GPU will not get got...(good news)
  • I don´t know if the Fans lifespan will be affected ("always" on) (bad news) but it will be cheap to buy spare ones if the stop working
  • I don´t think that connecting the fans directly to the PSU will harm the PSU in anyway? Any idea?
  • Connecting only GND and 12V will harm the Fans (not connecting RPM and PWM)?
What do you think?

So the fans are functional during testing, do you have another system to test the card in? maybe a friends computer?, or repair shop that can test the card, im still convinced that this is related to software/windows/drivers, are there any settings in bios that relate to the video card?

does your motherboard have another PCIe lane? try installing the card into the secondary lane to see if the fans work.

do you have another video card to install into the original system to see if the fans work?

i have heard before that this issue can be caused by a faulty motherboard or power supply.

Last edited:

arquillos

Commendable
Jan 3, 2019
Today I connected the GPU fans to the PSU and turned on the PC.
Everything is working fine with a nice temperature range (42-47ºC). Using the PC for mail, twitch, youtube and two games: Minecraft and Genshin Impact (both configured at minimum details for now)

Tomorrow I will try pushing the games to the limit and also running Valorant

Thanks everybody!!!

Reactions: woot
Oct 2, 2021
Today I connected the GPU fans to the PSU and turned on the PC.
Everything is working fine with a nice temperature range (42-47ºC). Using the PC for mail, twitch, youtube and two games: Minecraft and Genshin Impact (both configured at minimum details for now)

Tomorrow I will try pushing the games to the limit and also running Valorant

Thanks everybody!!!

Did you get these 42-47 temperatures while the fan is on or off? bcs your graphic card has the passive cooling method?