Gigabyte GeForce GTX Titan Black: Do-It-Yourself Cooler Swap

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Certainly true that for a small pure GPU test, the CPU and RAM often don't matter. A more real-world
task can be very different though. That AE test I mentioned earlier takes 10% longer to compute on
my friend's 3930K/4.7 system if the RAM is reduced from 2133 to 1866 (his setup has a Quadro 4000
and three 3GB 580s, though only the 580s form the CUDA pool).

Ian.

PS. The P55 config above gives 4912 for Arionbench 2.5.0.

wolverine96

Reputable
Mar 26, 2014

True, the Titan Black is pretty much the same as a 780 Ti, but it has 6GB of RAM.

(I like your username. Clever.)

mapesdhs

Distinguished
I read recently that the possibility of 6GB 780 Tis has been ditched, because NVIDIA was
afraid of hurting Titan Black/Z sales. Anyone know if this is definitely confirmed? I think
NVIDIA are completely wrong if so, but c'est la vie.

Ian.

PS. Hey wolverine96, I sold a couple of reference GTX 580 1.5GB cards to a friend this
week which he's put into a Q9550 system for use with Blender rendering. He knows
someone with an i7 system who told him their Blender scene took 17 seconds to render
in sw on their i7; my friend's dual-580 did it in 1.5 seconds. :D There was much boasting
I gather. :D He also plans on using it SLI for Elite Dangerous, so a win/win all-round. 8)

PPS. I hereby declare that anyone who has the spare time to properly play Elite Dangerous
when it's fully released is officially annoying. ;) I remember talking to friends in the mid-80s
about exactly what they've created; alas these days I don't have the time for such in-depth
gaming. Rats... lottery winners suck. :}

mapesdhs

Distinguished
For what task? It all depends on the nature of the task. ;) 290X is pretty good for gaming
(I forget offhand, but I'm sure it's quicker than a Titan for some games), but that's just one
very narrow field in the world of computing as a whole. No GPU is the best for everything.
Even for gaming, some titles favour AMD, others NVIDIA, and then there's the way driver
changes can mess up what may have been better performance or stability in the past. Plus
there's the way some games scale better with CF instead of SLI, others vice versa, so one
AMD card might be faster than one NVIDIA card, but doubling them ends up with the SLI
pair being faster/smoother than the AMD pair (or vice versa). It's complicated, you have to
make each decision based on the task you're interested in, not hunt for a general average
answer, because the latter can be misleading and isn't that useful anyway. Also remember
the issue of absolute performance: imagine a situation where, for 4K gaming, a 290X gives
29fps vs. 24fps for a Titan Black; the AMD is quicker, but neither is remotely good enough
for acceptable play. Add a 2nd card? Sure, but that's when the CF/SLI scaling issue matters,
and how it varies depending on the game. This is a made-up example btw, could easily be
the other way round, etc.

It's enough to induce a headache. :}

Ian.

BustedGPU

Reputable
Jul 3, 2014
Is there any update as to whether this will be sold in the US? I'm still not seeing either of Gigabyte's Titan Black Windforce model numbers for sale at any US websites.

Status
Not open for further replies.