Question Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 WindForce X2 high temperatures

gregc320

Honorable
Jul 19, 2016
Hi guys,

I've had this card for about 2 years now and have been suffering from bad temperatures for as long as I can remember with it just never really posted online about it?

From what I've seen, Gigabyte didn't really do a good job on their 20 series GPU's in terms of temperatures? My GPU runs fine at idle (40/45 degrees) but as soon as I start gaming, it goes up to 88' and the fans are going mental. The GPU could also be running at only 40/50% load but still get a high temp?

I have a liquid cooled CPU which has no issues with temperatures, my case which is a Corsair 570x has a total of 6 fans, which are setup correctly. I'm running a liquid cooled i7 9700k and the temps on this are also fine.

Should I assume that there is an issue with the GPU I have??

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Hi guys,

I've had this card for about 2 years now and have been suffering from bad temperatures for as long as I can remember with it just never really posted online about it?

From what I've seen, Gigabyte didn't really do a good job on their 20 series GPU's in terms of temperatures? My GPU runs fine at idle (40/45 degrees) but as soon as I start gaming, it goes up to 88' and the fans are going mental. The GPU could also be running at only 40/50% load but still get a high temp?

I have a liquid cooled CPU which has no issues with temperatures, my case which is a Corsair 570x has a total of 6 fans, which are setup correctly. I'm running a liquid cooled i7 9700k and the temps on this are also fine.

Should I assume that there is an issue with the GPU I have??

Any help is appreciated.
Thanks,
Greg
Hi.
Gpu core needs a repaste... but if it's been like this since you got it...
https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/gigabyte-rtx-2070-windforce-2x.b7319

It could be the cooler design instead.
I've seen a pattern with cards with a certain finstack alignment and high operating thermals.
The fans intake air, and the heated air is exhausted out the back and towards the front of the case. This does not work as well as it could in cases with front panel intake; case intake and gpu front exhaust fight.
With the more common aftermarket gpu cooler design, the heat is exhausted at the case's side panel and the motherboard.

Then again, I see that the 'lip' of the Windforce 2X is kinda closed off; that won't help heated air escape...

Perhaps consider ripping the shroud off the card and zip-tying a pair of 120mm case fans to the heatsink.