[SOLVED] Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB TURBO OC too loud?

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
I'm going to get an RTX 2080 for my new build, but I'm not sure which one. I don't overclock my builds, but I'm not afraid to buy a card that's OCed from the factory. I'm considering the "Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB TURBO OC". I haven't found any specific reviews on it, but some customers over at Amazon and NewEgg said it was very loud, especially at load. I really like the way the fan blows the heat right out the back of the case, but I don't want "loud".

Has anyone seen a review of this specific card? Can anyone recommend an RTX 2080 that's known to be a little quieter than the alternatives?

Thanks!

Gigabyte - GeForce RTX 2080 8 GB TURBO OC
https://pcpartpicker.com/product/Lv...8-gb-turbo-oc-video-card-gv-n2080turbo-oc-8gc

Solution
These reference type GPUs can get noisy under load though. It also depends on what type of ATX cabinet you are having.

The blower cooler will help push the hot air from the rear of the chassis. It sucks air in through the single fan in the front of the card and blows it out of the back. It is important to note that even though all blower-type coolers use a single-fan design, not all single-fan cards are blower-style.

Exhausting air out the back of the card helps in cases with poor airflow since there is no hot air blown into the case; conversely, it is exhausted outside of the chassis.

On the other hand, the volume of that air is usually so small that the single tiny fan must spin much faster to cool the GPU...
These reference type GPUs can get noisy under load though. It also depends on what type of ATX cabinet you are having.

The blower cooler will help push the hot air from the rear of the chassis. It sucks air in through the single fan in the front of the card and blows it out of the back. It is important to note that even though all blower-type coolers use a single-fan design, not all single-fan cards are blower-style.

Exhausting air out the back of the card helps in cases with poor airflow since there is no hot air blown into the case; conversely, it is exhausted outside of the chassis.

On the other hand, the volume of that air is usually so small that the single tiny fan must spin much faster to cool the GPU properly, meaning most blower style cards are susceptible to higher temperatures and noise levels compared to their competition. Blower coolers are generally most useful in mini-ITX cases and/or multi-GPU setups, where there is not enough case airflow available to sustain an open-air cooler design.

The logic behind open-air cards is also simple, a cooler with a single, double, or triple fan that blows cold air from the outside onto a heatsink – either directly or indirectly cooling the GPU. The radiator usually consists of fins that have heatpipes running through them. Blower-style cards use smaller heatsinks, which is one of the reasons why their cooling capacity is much smaller.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muckster
Solution

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013

The blower cooler will help push the hot air from the near of the chassis. It sucks air in through the single fan in the front of the card and blows it out of the back. It is important to note that even though all blower-type coolers use a single-fan design, not all single-fan cards are blower-style.

On the other hand, the volume of that air is usually so small that the single tiny fan must spin much faster to cool the GPU properly, meaning most blower style cards are susceptible to higher temperatures and noise levels compared to their competition. Blower coolers are generally most useful in mini-ITX cases and/or multi-GPU setups, where there is not enough case airflow available to sustain an open-air cooler design.

The logic behind open-air cards is also simple, a cooler with a single, double, or triple fan that blows cold air from the outside onto a heatsink – either directly or indirectly cooling the GPU. The radiator usually consists of fins that have heatpipes running through them. Blower-style cards use smaller heatsinks, which is one of the reasons why their cooling capacity is much smaller.

Wow. Thanks for the detailed explanation. I've really struggled with this build because it's going into a sort of cubby hole in a wall unit. The cubby hole dimensions are 19.5" wide by 19.5" deep x 6.4" tall. There are air holes in the top and bottom walls of the cubby. The Silvestone GD05 case is pretty snug. For my case I've got three stock 120mm fans (sides) for intakes and I'm adding two 80mm quiet fans for exhaust. I also spent more on a quieter PSU, but will stay with the Wraith Spire stock fan because I never intend to overclock anything. I thought the blower-type fan on the RTX 2080 would do a good job getting the heat out of the care, but the more I read about it, the more afraid I am the noise from blower-type cooler will ruin all my efforts to keep the noise down.

I'm no expert on case cooling. As I said, the one thing I've got going for me is I don't ever intend to overclock. Would you mind taking a look at my build and seeing if there's a better way? What would be a good non-blower card for this build?
https://pcpartpicker.com/user/pshopper/saved/#view=WKtCLk

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
So for the non-blower types, is it better to get one with two or three fans? Any suggestions on a non-blower fan RTX 2080? Links for reviews of custom card offerings? Anyone in particular have a reputation for low heat or low noise?

So for the non-blower types, is it better to get one with two or three fans? Any suggestions on a non-blower fan RTX 2080? Links for reviews of custom card offerings? Anyone in particular have a reputation for low heat or low noise?

It's your choice, to be honest, if you prefer using a dual or a triple fan cooling solution. I would recommend using any of the ASUS STRIX ROG models, if you can afford one. STRIX GPUs are extremely silent, at least based on my own experience though, and the build quality of ASUS is also top-notch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Muckster

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
It's your choice, to be honest, if you prefer using a dual or a triple fan cooling solution. I would recommend using any of the ASUS STRIX ROG models, if you can afford one. STRIX GPUs are extremely silent, at least based on my own experience though, and the build quality of ASUS is also top-notch.

Thanks. I'm having a hll of a time finding anything that will fit my case max of 279mm. The one exception is MSI and the reviews are bad. Seems these MSIs have a habit of dying a couple months (or sooner) after you get them. I might have to find a new case.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.

Muckster

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2013
What's your current ATX cabinet, by the way ?

I ended up with the EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 XC ULTRA GAMING, 8GB GDDR6, Dual HDB Fans & RGB LED Graphics Card 08G-P4-2183-KR, for $750 amazon. There were other deals, but this one had pretty good reviews and fit my case. I'm been try to get this build together for a while now so it just felt good to be done with it.

Thanks for your help. Award for the info.

Reactions: Metal Messiah.