News Gigabyte Gets Hacked, Attackers Steal 112GB of Confidential Data

jamiewhite

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2011
To my knowledge, this is the second Taiwanese electronics manufacturer that has been hacked in as many years. I see a pattern forming…

waltc3

Reputable
Aug 4, 2019
GB should tell the hackers to go jump...;) I would. Screw your ransom. These guys will be caught and when they do I would not want to trade places with them. US GB site seems unscathed.

Reactions: valreesio

Co BIY

Splendid
At a high-profile high-tech company there was probably inside assistance - and also probably big country state sponsorship of the attack.

I doubt ransom was the goal. Strategic info and IP are the targets worth going for at a company like Gigabyte where the defenses were probably better than business average. But ransom demands muddy the water.

Search "maskirovka" - A stratagem heavily used by at least two large powers in Asia.

Last edited:
Worst part of this is GB could pay the ransom and the data could still be released. The biggest problem with digital data is that as soon as it leaves the primary location it can now be copied endless times and you can never get rid of it.

GenericUser

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2010
Worst part of this is GB could pay the ransom and the data could still be released. The biggest problem with digital data is that as soon as it leaves the primary location it can now be copied endless times and you can never get rid of it.

My understanding is that they generally tend not to do that, since it lowers their credibility for future ransoms.

If you know the attackers are going to release your stuff regardless if you pay up or not, then why pay?