Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti - Occasional red line artifacts & screen flickering...already RMA'd once.

bhogervorst

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2015
Okay, so to preface this, I'm in a weird situation where my Graphics Card isn't completely dead, but i've already RMA'd it once and the issues i'm having have returned already. They're not preventing me from gaming but they're driving me crazy. Customer support is a *expletive* as always, very hard to talk to and generally not very helpful. I'd appreciate any advice going forward.

I'll explain my issues and what has led me to this point.

I bought a Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti (GV-N105TWF2OC-4GD) in November of 2016 brand new. No issues until shortly before one year of ownership, October of 2017. I experienced occasional red flickering lines and the screen would flash on and off occasionally. These things were annoying but they didn't hinder the usability of the card until the PC started to crash on a solid green screen without any bluescreen message.

Eventually the PC stopped POSTing and I RMA'd the card. The RMA process took about 3-4 weeks if I remember, not including RMA request approval time which was a few days. This is terrifically annoying on Gigabyte's part but It wasn't unexpected based on past RMA experiences with them. Card was sent back and after that it worked fine without issue.

That is, until a month ago when I started to get the red line and screen flickering issues again. No bluescreen or freezing yet but the screen flickering has become more frequent and because of my monitor's slow input detection, it can take 3-5 seconds for the input to be detected and the screen to turn on.

Speaking of monitors, I might also mention that i'm running two older monitors, an old Envision EN7410 and a refurbished Acer H236L-bid. I wouldn't be surprised if they were what are causing the flickering or red lines, because they both do it and sometimes it seems like it's a loose connection issue when I move them around. But this wouldn't explain the PC crashing before but not after the RMA. This idea doesn't make a ton of sense but I thought I would mention it.

So, to sum things up:
I have a Gigabyte GTX 1050 Ti with the standard 3 year warranty. I've already had the card RMA'd once, but my issues have returned. They're not bad enough to warrant getting a new card from Gigabyte but they're annoying enough to drive me crazy. The Gigabyte RMA process takes a long time, but I'm willing to do it again. However, how do I know the issues won't just come back?

I understand that my graphics card is having issues. I'm not exactly looking for the classic "buy a new card" or "get it RMA'd" advice. I'm looking for some long term advice on how to deal with Gigabyte customer support going forward, based on the fact that I've already had my card RMA'd once.

So my ultimate questions are
1. Do I try and contact Gigabyte Customer Support and explain this to them, hoping to get a new card or something like that? (Would I even get anywhere with them??)
2. Do I sell the card on eBay and try and buy another one [from another brand of course] (without screwing the buyer, but also without losing too much money)
3. Are my monitors at the end of their lives? Might they just be my issue?
4. Is it something else I haven't thought of? Drivers, cables, adapters, ports?
5. Am I going crazyyyyyyyyyyy.....???!?

I'm in a weird situation. Any help or discussion would be appreciated!
Thanks!
B

XxDarkMarioxX

Respectable
Dec 25, 2016
Sounds like your GPU acting up again because if this is happening on both monitors then there not at fault. I would contact them again and see if they can send an replacement not to fix it up. Also dont sell it on ebay if its faulty!

bhogervorst

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2015

XxDarkMarioxX,

Thanks for your input. I think you're right about my GPU. I don't really want to contact Gigabyte again, but I might have to like you said. And you're right about eBay, it might be okay, but I'd rather not be "That Guy" who sells his broken GPU as "working".

Also, another thing that seems to work sometimes these days, is contacting the company or leaving a bad review via social media, since most companies seem to want to keep a good image on their media pages.

I'll wait and see what other people have to say, but after that, I think I know what I have to do.