Question Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB G1 Gaming overheating.

downes924

Commendable
Sep 30, 2017
I have had my PC for about 2 years now and I have never ran into this issue. I bought Call of Duty: Modern Warfare and after about 40 minutes of playing my screen turns black and the LEDs on my graphics card flasg orange and red, the GPU fans turn off as well. When I am in the GPU software I am getting about 85° or more in Call of Duty. I have 3 Corsair LL120 fans and 1 case fan running. Is there anything that I can do to fix this? I have a AMD Ryzen 3 1300X and a Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 3GB G1 Gaming.

Gfost73

Reputable
Mar 23, 2019
I dont have the same card but do have a Gigabyte GPU which also ran very hot (peaked at 83°C) .. I ended up undervolting mine threw wattman , as well I adjusted the fan curve, now my card under full load never passes 65°C , you may want to try that as well , I'm sure there is a lot of info for settings, Myself I just downloaded Superposition and adjusted the stage 7 on the GPU voltage lower, then ran benchmark to make sure was stable, then lowered more.. I finally stopped when my Card was at 1030mV (probably could go lower but I'm happy with temps now) as well I OC to 1390Mhz. Card is extremely stable and temperatures are id consider great, now with wattman it seems once you adjust the fan curve you can no longer choose "fan stop" option (mine and I believe most are greyed out) .. However if you open your saved profile with notepad and look for entry 18, it will say false , change the 2 'false" into "True" and Presto youll have fan stop enabled..

downes924

Commendable
Sep 30, 2017
I dont have the same card but do have a Gigabyte GPU which also ran very hot (peaked at 83°C) .. I ended up undervolting mine threw wattman , as well I adjusted the fan curve, now my card under full load never passes 65°C , you may want to try that as well , I'm sure there is a lot of info for settings, Myself I just downloaded Superposition and adjusted the stage 7 on the GPU voltage lower, then ran benchmark to make sure was stable, then lowered more.. I finally stopped when my Card was at 1030mV (probably could go lower but I'm happy with temps now) as well I OC to 1390Mhz. Card is extremely stable and temperatures are id consider great, now with wattman it seems once you adjust the fan curve you can no longer choose "fan stop" option (mine and I believe most are greyed out) .. However if you open your saved profile with notepad and look for entry 18, it will say false , change the 2 'false" into "True" and Presto youll have fan stop enabled..
Thanks so much man, I will look into this.

First thing I would do is throw that pc on the bench pull GPU and do a good dusting out and get it in good light to look as good as you can to make sure there is not a blanket of dust blocking heatsink. A paint brush and a crappy blow dryer will do wonders getting the dust out Than get MSI AfterBurner and set custom fan settings so You have control of fans while gaming. I've Been running GPU's this way since 2008 thanks to the old 8800 GTX hotter than hell card.