Question Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB in an OptiPlex 9020 SFF?

Jun 6, 2019
Hello all. I am looking to game on a somewhat considerable budget (for me anyway) and was wondering if a full-size Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB would fit in the OptiPlex 9020 SFF case and work with an upgraded PSU (currently looking at an EVGA 430W PSU and will use an adapter to connect it as dell used proprietary connectors). The motherboard has a single PCIe 3.0 x16 slot and a PCIe 2.0 x4 (I think?) slot. Will destroying the hard drive caddy help fit the GPU if necessary? I’d rather not downgrade to a low profile 1050 unless absolutely necessary.

Specs after preferred upgrade:
Intel core i5-4570 (same as before)
8GB DDR3 RAM 1600MHz (extra 4GB)
Gigabyte GTX 1060 3GB DDR5 (coming from Intel HD 4600)
EVGA 430W PSU (coming from original 240W PSU)

Please comment if any extra information is necessary.

I am new to the building/upgrading gaming PC scene so sorry if there are any obvious things I have missed.

The 1060 I am wishing to buy: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https://www.ebay.com.au/ulk/itm/223524779664

I can’t currently look at anything inside the PC for another 5 days or so because it actually won’t arrive until Wednesday.

Thanks everyone.

DMAN999

Dignified
Ambassador
Once you have the Dell OptiPlex case in your possession.
I suggest you open it up and physically measure the available space from the PCI-E 16 slot in both directions, from back of case towards front and from MB to case side panel.
Then check those measurements with the length and width of the 1060 GPU you want to buy.

Last edited:

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Unfortunately, this model lists the slot as half-height. Small form factor prebuilts are generally strongly not recommended for trying to upgrade into a gaming rig.

Not particularly crazy about that price. If you were able to use a full-size GPU, there's no reason for you to buy a used 1060 3 GB when a RX 570 can be found new the same price.

Jun 6, 2019
Unfortunately, this model lists the slot as half-height. Small form factor prebuilts are generally strongly not recommended for trying to upgrade into a gaming rig.

Not particularly crazy about that price. If you were able to use a full-size GPU, there's no reason for you to buy a used 1060 3 GB when a RX 570 can be found new the same price.
Hello, thank you for your reply. Do you think I could remove the hard drive cage or “modify” it to fit a full-size GPU? Decided I might go with an RX 580 used. Shows slightly better performance over the 1060. I heard people have had luck with other OptiPlex cases.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Hello, thank you for your reply. Do you think I could remove the hard drive cage or “modify” it to fit a full-size GPU? Decided I might go with an RX 580 used. Shows slightly better performance over the 1060. I heard people have had luck with other OptiPlex cases.

With the SFF ones? There's a mini-tower version too.

And it's not just a length problem. It's a height problem. I certainly wouldn't do anything until you physically measure the space.

Used 580 depends on the price. If it's close to a new 570, you have to go with the 570 (again, this is assuming you can actually use a full-height GPU). Warranties on GPUs are a Very Big Deal because GPUs are quite susceptible to dying. Typically, you need a minimum of about a third of the price off a new card before even considering a used GPU and given how many abused GPUs are out there from people who ham-handedly jumped on the cryptocurrency craze, I'd probably want even more of a discount (while smart users were undervolting GPUs, most of this crowd wasn't terribly knowledgeable).

Jun 6, 2019
With the SFF ones? There's a mini-tower version too.

And it's not just a length problem. It's a height problem. I certainly wouldn't do anything until you physically measure the space.

Used 580 depends on the price. If it's close to a new 570, you have to go with the 570 (again, this is assuming you can actually use a full-height GPU). Warranties on GPUs are a Very Big Deal because GPUs are quite susceptible to dying. Typically, you need a minimum of about a third of the price off a new card before even considering a used GPU and given how many abused GPUs are out there from people who ham-handedly jumped on the cryptocurrency craze, I'd probably want even more of a discount (while smart users were undervolting GPUs, most of this crowd wasn't terribly knowledgeable).
Okay, thanks for the info! I did find that the RX cards have been used for a year of mining. I’m now trying to find workarounds to fit a full size GPU. I have one idea, what about using a PCIe x16 riser? They are flexible, so would I be able to slide it through supposedly the little gaps of the case opening and rest the GPU in a safe place or build/buy something to go around it and have a successful build? I’m fine with leaving the enclosure off or not perfectly in place to get it working. I also found that the card would have to be single slot to fit in the OptiPlex and it’s hard to find good ones for a good price.

Jun 6, 2019
Hello everyone. I’m trying to find workarounds to fit a full size GPU in or around an OptiPlex 9020 SFF. PCIe risers are flexible, so would I be able to slide it through supposedly the little gaps of the case opening and rest the GPU in a safe place or build/buy something to protect it and have a successful build? I’m fine with leaving the enclosure of the case off or not perfectly in place to get it working.

(Please don’t ask about mini GPU or low profiles, I’ve been digging around for days and haven’t been with a lot of luck to find good GPUs that are also single slot.)

My ideal GPU is a GTX 1060 3GB or equivalent. Not the best, but goes easy on my wallet and gets the job done for me.

If there is something obvious going over my head I apologise, I’m new to this stuff.
Thank you!

Jun 6, 2019
If you place the GPU out of the case, remember to dust it off regularly. Inside the case - place it so that the PCB (Printed circuit board) of the GPU does not touch any metal inside the case.

Be sure to buy a decent x16 rizer. Here's a 300mm one https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16812198155?Description=riser&cm_re=riser-_-12-198-155-_-Product

There's a 100mm 200mm also if you want to place it inside the case.
I guess that means I can! Thanks. I’ll be placing it externally so is there a particular surface I should place the GPU on for best protection? E.g cloth, wood, paper, tissue etc. Also should it be sitting on it’s side or flat, fans facing up?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you!

I guess that means I can! Thanks. I’ll be placing it externally so is there a particular surface I should place the GPU on for best protection? E.g cloth, wood, paper, tissue etc. Also should it be sitting on it’s side or flat, fans facing up?

Sorry for all the questions. Thank you!
sitting on a side would be great, maybe make a small cavity in a brick of foam - will be some sort of a stand for the GPU

some stands can be bought, maybe you can find a suitable one. they are usually called 'Vertical Graphics Card Holder Bracket', or 'Video Card Support Kit', 'GPU Mount', 'GPU stand'. The thing is they are designed to be place inside the case.

81PUZuF%2BAZL._SL1500_.jpg

Last edited:
Jun 6, 2019
sitting on a side would be great, maybe make a small cavity in a brick of foam - will be some sort of a stand for the GPU

some stands can be bought, maybe you can find a suitable one. they are usually called 'Vertical Graphics Card Holder Bracket', or 'Video Card Support Kit', 'GPU Mount', 'GPU stand'. The thing is they are designed to be place inside the case.

81PUZuF%2BAZL._SL1500_.jpg
Yeah, there’s no way my case can fit that. I’ve decided to do a little DYI wall mount and by the look of things everything should turn out well. Now I’m just waiting on the card and extender.

Thanks for all your help!