Question Gigabyte GTX 1060 3gb windforce with 8 pin

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Finally getting things in order to test out a used Gigabyte GTX 1060 3gb GPU. Looking at photos on line this card seems much longer and has an 8 pin connector. I have an old Lenovo H430 PC, 8 gb of ram, single dvd drive, and an older Antec Earthwatts 500W 80 plus bronze PSU.
OS is Windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.

The above mentioned setup I have dedicated to use mainly as a test machine as it has more room for longer cards. This afternoon I just ran DDU, removed the slot only powered HD 6000 series card, and reinstalled a GTX 560 that requires (2 ) 6 pin connectors. I'm pretty sure from my research that the 560 is overall more power hungry than the 1060. My concern is that I do not think I have ever dealt with a single 8 pin card but it looks like the 2 extra pins are ground? Anyway as I mentioned the PC is strictly for short term functionality testing of used items, i.e. GPU's, ram, etc that I purchase from time to time.

The 560 seem to run fine and I played a little nfs Carbon for a bit on max settings no issues, (I know not a demanding game at all). I now have the GTX 1060 installed with one of the (2) 6+2 pci-e cables into the 8 pin on the GPU. I looked at the PSU which I know is older and shows max 492 watts on (2) 12 volt rails. I think I know the answer, but want to make sure since I've not dealt with the 8 pin before.

I would really like to install my gently used Seasonic G series SSR-750RM PSU, but no pci-e cables came with it so I'll have to try to find. I contacted Seasonic but they don't sell just the cables. Otherwise I'll get a replacement soon for the very old Antec.

Thanks for any help/advice.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
If you're just using it to test if things are working, it's *probably* OK to do a two 6-pin to one 8-pin adapter. I wouldn't suggest that for normal use given the general lousiness of adapters and the rather "meh" nature of this PSU, plus it's age.

DSzymborski

Curmudgeon Pursuivant
Okay, thanks. So using one of the 6+2 pci-e connectors coming from the PSU into the 8 pin on the 1060 is a no go?

My mistake, my memory had been that this PSU had 6-pin connectors. Yes, you're probably OK to use the PSU, but be *very* careful and understand it's not riskless. Certainly don't decide to try overclocking it and then leaving the house or anything.

Reactions: silversmithy

silversmithy

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2012
Okay, thank you very much. I will plug one of the 6+2 pci-e connectors into the 8 pin on the GPU, but will leave the side panel off to monitor the whole time. Definitely not going to do any stress testing or overclocking on this setup as it stands right now. Thanks again.