[SOLVED] Gigabyte GTX 1060 6Gb one fan running at 100%, other fan doesnt spin.

Jan 13, 2019
So I just swapped a rx 580 8gb for a gigabyte windforce 1060 6gb dual fan gpu bc this guy had a freesync monitor and wanted to swap. With, hindsight, I would not have done this as the gpu works fine but the LED does not come on and one fan spins at 100 and the other spins for a few secs after turning on and then stops. I've tried to change fan curves etc in msi afterburner and other programmes to no avail. Is this purely hardware and if so can I fix it without having to return it? Thanks.

Idk how to post pictures on here but ive listed it on ebay just in case I cant fix it and there are pics there, link is https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/303028191340

Update: forgot to mention that the one fan still spins at 100% without pcie power connector, not quite sure why. It also plays all games as a 1060 6gb should, might just be a problem with the fans. Thanks for all responses.

Solution

You already said you tried custom power curves in Afterburner based on temp. Example profile:

Temp-Fan RPM
50C-50%
60C-65%
65C-75%
75C-90%

If that 1060 runs full fan on one then none on the other *with* Afterburner running with a custom profile, there's a chance you have a faulty card. Also check your 1060's manufacturer website for any BIOS update that may report about this issue. It's definitely not normal. This is of course assuming your PSU is not failing/up to snuff.
Jan 13, 2019

No it just goes to 100% as soon as it turns on, stays at 100% constantly. It happened as soon as I put it in the pc and turned it on, the guy I swapped it with showed me it working before hand too.

Jan 13, 2019

Yeah I hadn't even installed the AMD drivers before I swapped it, it hadn't been in this PC

Jan 13, 2019

Yes mate exactly, I installed it to show it was working and displaying an output

Okay that makes sense. You just need to install the latest Nvidia driver (do not install whatever manufacturer's drivers are from that 1060). Windows is trying to drive that GPU which is like a blind person trying to land an airliner. This is a first for me: using Afterburner with no GPU drivers installed.

Jan 13, 2019

No mate I have installed the NVidia drivers, 417.35 I think but the fans were going like that before it even booted into windows

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007

What happens when you start a game/load on the GPU? Still one fan at 100% and nothing on the other fan?

Jan 13, 2019

Yeah, I just played Rainbow Six Siege on it on very high settings and no movement from the other fan.

You already said you tried custom power curves in Afterburner based on temp. Example profile:

Temp-Fan RPM
50C-50%
60C-65%
65C-75%
75C-90%

If that 1060 runs full fan on one then none on the other *with* Afterburner running with a custom profile, there's a chance you have a faulty card. Also check your 1060's manufacturer website for any BIOS update that may report about this issue. It's definitely not normal. This is of course assuming your PSU is not failing/up to snuff.

Solution
Jan 13, 2019

Okay thanks for your help mate, I've tried that fan curve to no avail, it still stays the same and my psu is an aerocool integrator 600w which is more than enough apparently. Thanks for your help, but I think I'll just sell it to someone who knows what they're doing hardware wise.

Well if it's a faulty card I'm not sure I'd sell it. I'd try the warranty method. As a Yank from the US who sells a lot of stuff on eBay and Craig's List, I don't want my credibility as a seller hurt. :D

Jan 13, 2019

Yeah mate, it's not my card unfortunately and I'm selling it as broken. If it was mine I wouldve tried the warranty but alas. Thanks for your help anyway.

TRENDING THREADS