[SOLVED] Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 at x4 with PCIe NVMe 3.0_x4 in M.2_1 slot

Jan 1, 2020
drive.google.com
I just noticed my Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 PCIe_x16 3.0 adapter is only running at x4 on PCIex16_1 slot One! I have only one drive installed, which is a NVMe PCIe_x4 3.0 stick in slot M.2_1. According to everything I've read, including the manual, M.2_1 should NOT affect PCIex16_1. Since it's my boot drive, I can't (nor do I want to!) pull the NVMe drive to see if the video adapter jumps to it's default x16 mode. Both the BIOS and GPU-Z report the current x4 bandwidth. BIOS doesn't even list the PCIex16_1 to adjust settings. The other 2 slots are present, w/optional settings. It's an 8 core Ryzen 7 2700x so I can't see the CPU lanes as a limiting factor?

I found an "Intel i5" post that suggested it could be the sound circuitry built into the GTX adapter "and" Motherboard hogging up lanes, but found no help on the Ryzen 7. This is a new build and my first Ryzen so I'm learning as I go. It seems to be running fine, although I haven't really tested in any games yet. Any thoughts?

AMD Ryzen 7 2700x
Asus ROG STRIX x470-F
16gb G.Skill TridentZ RGB (2x8)
Gigabyte 1070 GTX G1 Gaming 8gb
Intel 660p M.2 NVMe 3.0 1024GB
Corsair tx850w PSU

https://www.newegg.com/intel-660p-series-1tb/p/N82E16820167462?Item=N82E16820167462

https://www.gigabyte.com/us/Graphics-Card/GV-N1070G1-GAMING-8GD-rev-10#kf

Solution
The mainboard certainly should support an M.2 NVME drive and a simple GPU at full 16X lanes...

I'd default your BIOS settings, and/or search carefully for any possible BIOS settings that could possibly disrupt the 16X lanes allocated to a GPU...(Is there a way to disable the unused PCI-e slots, perhaps?)

Failing that, it's time to contact Asus support...and hope someone answers...
The mainboard certainly should support an M.2 NVME drive and a simple GPU at full 16X lanes...

I'd default your BIOS settings, and/or search carefully for any possible BIOS settings that could possibly disrupt the 16X lanes allocated to a GPU...(Is there a way to disable the unused PCI-e slots, perhaps?)

Reactions: Brazen44
Solution
Jan 1, 2020
drive.google.com

Thanks for the reply MDD. I agree. I've been building since the mid 80's and have never run into this before. I spent all New Years day scouring the net for a solution. I found many posts similar, but no real solutions. Some of the common "re-seating GPU", etc helped one or two, but others have tried damn near every common troubleshooting technique to no avail. There are a few newer BIOS' that I could burn, but most exist primarily to support the 3000 series Ryzen's and are not recommended for 2700x owners. I'm tempted to slip into PCIe slot 2, which from what I understand is x16 but runs at x8 for SLI setups. (the board visibly shows only half of the slot's pins soldered from the backside.) I could probably live with it as-is since the system is running great and super stable... but it's bugging the hell out of me not being able to figure out! :)

Jan 1, 2020
drive.google.com
Got it! :D I pulled the GPU, cleaned the contacts with alcohol, then with my drafting eraser, then wiped clean again.

But.... I believe the problem was that fancy Aluminum cover plate that joins the M.2 heat spreader and the board's chipset heat sink. (can't see it behind GPU anyhow!) I could see the GPU was resting directly on it, so I'm guessing it was pushing the tail-end of the card out a bit. Who knows, but I yanked it and it's running at x16 now! Thank you mdd1963 for the assistance!

PS: 1962 here :sneaky: