Gigabyte GTX 1080 FE - Graphical Bug

Ashley Bostock

Prominent
May 25, 2017
Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone can help wrap my head around a few things with my GPU.

I have had my GTX 1080 fe for about 2 years now, and never had any issues with it, I have recently been indulging in some high performance games and decided to do a little Over Clocking. I'm not a rookie at Over Clocking, but i have tried avoiding it on my GPU for a while, done it a few times, but nothing heavy.

I was running a heavily modded Skyrim, and using EVGA i boosted the Clock from 1733 MHz to +200 - 1933MHz. and the Memory by +200 Also.

After testing this, Game runs smoothly with no issues, Was getting a good Max Temperature of 70 Degrees. with Auto adjusted Fan speeds depending on the temperature reached, and increased the Voltage ever so slightly if the Tempature ever reached above 80+ but this never did occur.

After further testing and restarting the game i came across a graphical bug. Red lights where flashing on the screen, I tried the obvious and tested another game just to confirm it wasnt the affected game. turns out all games were doing it. Immediately changed OC settings to Default. Tested again, and same issues, So i knew at this stage it wasn't the OC settings i had, Im using the latest updated graphics drivers, and have downgraded to a previous one and suffered the same issue.

Made sure i had no background applications affecting this, and just ran the base applications i always had open. Started getting a little worries now that i may of defected the card by Over Clocking it, But i made sure i was using safe adjustments, The GPU Temperatures never went too hot. or even went above there recommended OC settings.

So i tried turning my PC off for the day, gave it another test next day, And still experiencing the same fault,

I made a few changes to try and resolve the problem, and i got somewhere.
So i Under Clocked my GPU to -50MHz on Both Clock and Memory. and this resolved the issue! Obviously this is just a work around less of a resolution.

So i want to check with you guys what may of occurred here? I have re seated the GPU cable and PCI slot and this made no difference,
Could this be a voltage issue? If so any reason why this may of all of sudden occurred, or could it possibly be a PSU issue?

I dont have any details for my computer as of now as im at work, Any suggestions are additional details please let me know. Thanks :)

If this issue happened without any driver changes, and happened right after you overclocked it, there is a good chance there was some damage done to the card since running it under stock speeds helps. You may end up with the card having issues at some point even with the underclock.

Ashley Bostock

Prominent
May 25, 2017

Just to confirm by "the card having issues" is there a known issue with these cards?

Not that I know of, but overclocking can damage parts, even a small overclock.

Ashley Bostock

Prominent
May 25, 2017

Surely it must of been a defected card already to break after such a small amount of overclocking, those GPU are built to be able clock more than that, especially not even showing any signs of failure before hand