Question GIGABYTE GTX 1080 G1 Gaming behaving strangely after replacing thermal pads and thermal paste.

Feb 27, 2019
Hi there!

First time I'm ever posting here, usually I've just been able to find whatever issue I'm having, but not this time.

I recently took off the heatsink on my GTX 1080, and replaced the thermal pads and thermal paste. This was around 2 weeks ago. I re--installed the card after putting it back together, and did a benchmark to see if my abnormal temps were gone.

Well, the temps were gone, but that was because the GPU couldn't even run the benchmark.

I replaced the thermal pads on the back panel, and it could run the benchmark again, the benchmark in question being Uniengine Valley and Heaven AND 3DMark Firestrike.

But there was a bit of a catch. While Firestrike ran with no issues, both Heaven and Valley crashed if the frames weren't limited to 60. It's a very strange predicament that I haven't seen anyone else post about.

I noticed as well, that whenever I did run Heaven and Valley, the voltage on MSI Afterburner was gradually dropping as it was at 100% load, so it would be at 1.05V and just tank until it reached around .875V. This only happened when GPU utilisation was at 100%, which is why I think limiting to 60fps made it stable. Could this be an issue with power regulation?

I can provide more details if needed, also noteworthy that I put my old 970 in and it worked perfectly fine, so it isn't an issue with the PSU or motherboard.

My specs are:

i5-9600K overclocked to 4.7Ghz
16gb 2133Mhz Ram
Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming
ASUS Prime z370 P-II

Thanks!

THEearthISFLAT

Upstanding
Feb 16, 2019
either power regulation or some sort of fault in a temp sensor maybe? I dunno, but obviously there is an issue with the reassembly, when you took it apart did you take pictures as you disassemble the GPU? and did you make sure that it was reassembled properly?