Question Gigabyte GTX 1080 TI making computer constantly reboot

Mar 29, 2020
just upgraded to a Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G and my computer will randomly shutdown and boot back up (no bsod). It could happen within 5 minutes of booting up or an hour. Also, gaming can make the screen go black for a while and flicker back on for a quick second, sound still works the whole time. Games are unplayable except minecraft. Can't tell if gaming makes the system reboot quicker. Haven't seen GPU temp go over 47c using MSI AF.

Tried updating bios, DDU, updating Nvidia drivers with Geforce experience, set PhysX to GPU instead of auto on Nvidia control panel. Any help would be much appreciated :)

I put my old card (GTX 1070 TI founders) back in and no rebooting. I feel like it must be the PSU at this point, but I feel like the one I have should be good enough. I'll probably get a new one once I've exhausted all other troubleshooting.

Specs:
GPU: Gigabyte GeForce® GTX 1080 Ti Gaming OC BLACK 11G
CPU: i7 7700k
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 650 G2, 80+ GOLD
MOB: MSI Z270-A Pro
RAM: G.SKILL TridentZ RGB 2x8gb DDR4 3200

Was the 1080ti bought used?
If so, are you sure that the card was working properly before buying it?

Your PSU is a great quality model and I don't suspect it being the problem, but I might be wrong... the only way to test is by running with another working PSU.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2020
I updated realtek audio driver and Intel chipset driver, flicked 3D settings -> power management to 'prefer maximum performance' in Nvidia Control Panel, uninstalled Afterburner and installed Aorus Engine, set to their "Silent" mode and now my computer hasn't shutdown for over an hour (personal best! lol).

I hooked up to a normal 1080p monitor and played GTA IV for a bit and everything went smoothly, but when I try to game on my alienware aw3418dw (ultrawide 1440 gsync) the screen goes black as soon as I get past the title and loading screens. I disabled gsync in Nvidia CP and still acts the same. My GPU driver is the Nvidia 445.75 one (from Geforce Experience). Any suggestions would be appreciated.

By the way I haven't tested the GPU on another rig yet, hopefully soon, but at this point I feel like maybe I've narrowed something down to the monitor GPU combo?

EDIT: the screen goes black for every game I've tried as soon as I get past title and loading screens. I try to alt-tab to chrome or whatever and the screen will flicker on for like 1 second and back to black for like 10

Mar 29, 2020
the power management got set back to 'Optimal power' instead of 'prefer maximum performance' and the pc rebooted randomly. Switched it back and it hasn't rebooted since.

Also when I underclock my power target to 50% in Aorus my screen doesn't go black when gaming. So it looks like all answers point to my PSU?

the power management got set back to 'Optimal power' instead of 'prefer maximum performance' and the pc rebooted randomly. Switched it back and it hasn't rebooted since.

Also when I underclock my power target to 50% in Aorus my screen doesn't go black when gaming. So it looks like all answers point to my PSU?

You won't know for sure... it can be the GPU, the majority of 1080ti's on the used market are mined so... there's a possibility that the card is dying.

You'll need to test either with another PSU on your rig or test the 1080ti on another system... that way you'll surely identify the culprit.

I'm still leaning towards the GPU being the problem as that EVGA 650 G2 is a really solid and reliable PSU.

Also, the 1080ti is your latest addition to the system... yeah, it draws more power, but not that much over your 1070ti.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phaaze88
Mar 29, 2020
I brought it to a repair guy and he said the CPU was getting way too hot cuz my cooler was bunked. Weird that I didn't notice the CPU temps myself, but he replaced the cooler and fans and everythings working. I wanted to test my old cooler assuming he was gonna give it back, but he said he junked it :/ Is that sketchy? Oh well it's workin lol

welp nevermind my screen goes black playing games unless I put power limit on 50%

Did you get around testing the card on another system?

I said it earlier... that is your latest addition to the system and most likely the culprit, since your 1070ti is working without problems.

You should've tested the GPU to see if it's fully functional in the first place.

Mar 29, 2020
Mar 29, 2020
I'm about to test on another rig, but it has this power supply: https://www.bestbuy.com/site/evga-600w-atx-12v-eps-12v-80-plus-power-supply-black/8511029.p?skuId=8511029

do you think this'll be a valid test?
The card behaved exactly the same in the other rig. Boot up a game, menus work fine, but as soon as the actual game loads up the screen loses signal. It’ll flicker back on quickly every few seconds, usually enough time for me to see my mouse so I can alt tab out and close the game. When I close the game the screen goes back to normal.

the repair guy is very confused because he said he stress tested and played games and everything went smoothly. He was using 4K OLED through HDMI. I’ve tried 3 different monitors (one 1080p, two 1440p gsync), what looks like a nice thick braided HDMI, and a DP cable supposedly rated for 1440p @165hz. I’ve plugged my pc directly into the wall instead of a strip. I’m convinced the GPU is bunked, but the repair guy’s experience has me hanging on.

im trying to isolate variables like cords, monitors, etc. Anything obvious I’m missing to check?

Would replacing the thermal paste on the GPU be useless considering the temps on it are fine?

The card behaved exactly the same in the other rig. Boot up a game, menus work fine, but as soon as the actual game loads up the screen loses signal. It’ll flicker back on quickly every few seconds, usually enough time for me to see my mouse so I can alt tab out and close the game. When I close the game the screen goes back to normal.

the repair guy is very confused because he said he stress tested and played games and everything went smoothly. He was using 4K OLED through HDMI. I’ve tried 3 different monitors (one 1080p, two 1440p gsync), what looks like a nice thick braided HDMI, and a DP cable supposedly rated for 1440p @165hz. I’ve plugged my pc directly into the wall instead of a strip. I’m convinced the GPU is bunked, but the repair guy’s experience has me hanging on.

im trying to isolate variables like cords, monitors, etc. Anything obvious I’m missing to check?

Would replacing the thermal paste on the GPU be useless considering the temps on it are fine?

Pretty much... if the temps are fine I wouldn't bother.
You've basically tried everything at this point, different cables + different monitors.

It's quite clear to me that the 1080ti is the problem, especially since your other GPU is working just fine.

Mar 29, 2020
Pretty much... if the temps are fine I wouldn't bother.
You've basically tried everything at this point, different cables + different monitors.

It's quite clear to me that the 1080ti is the problem, especially since your other GPU is working just fine.
I tried my PC on my 4k TV cuz thats what the repair guy tested with and it worked way better. So I used that HDMI cable (which appeared to me to be a basic run of the mill cable) with my monitor and it works alot better. Still a little flickering to black, but a noticeable improvement. So I guess it's just been cable issues. Would it make sense that the 1080ti needs a much better cable than my 1070 ti?

So now I'm in the market for a beastly DisplayPort cable. I'm thinking I need to do a bit of research cuz I specifically bought my current one from Amazon based off its rating for 1440p @165hz and it's failed me :/ Anyone know of any good cables?

EDIT: Would this be a potential reason to RMA the card? I read some reviews saying Gigabyte RMA's are a waste of time and lots of people seemed to receive back the same card with the same issues.