Gigabyte GTX 470 'Super Overclock' Speeds, Fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

altoidman85

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2009
This is all well and good but where are the silent piped graphics cards of yesteryear? I have a 9600GT the 8600GTS and 7600GT all from gigabyte and loved each of them... granted they wernt the best performing cards, but I just loved the silence of them no matter what I did. It seems that making silent video cards has taken a back burner especially in the past year or so. Sad...

zorky9

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
[citation][nom]altoidman85[/nom]This is all well and good but where are the silent piped graphics cards of yesteryear? I have a 9600GT the 8600GTS and 7600GT all from gigabyte and loved each of them... granted they wernt the best performing cards, but I just loved the silence of them no matter what I did. It seems that making silent video cards has taken a back burner especially in the past year or so. Sad...[/citation]
You'd have to wait for the lower tier models suited for HTPC's and basic computing. These beasts are meant for more graphic intensive applications and games.

AMW1011

Distinguished
Yeah, that is awesome, I really need one!

Oh and by the way, the differences between the GTX 470 and 480 hardware wise is a less than 10% decrease, so at the same clocks we should be looking at almost identical performance. Now at 2560x1600 or 1920x1200 with extreme AA the GTX 480 will pull away a bit more thanks to the increased memory and bandwidth. Here's hoping for <$400!

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]altoidman85[/nom]This is all well and good but where are the silent piped graphics cards of yesteryear? I have a 9600GT the 8600GTS and 7600GT all from gigabyte and loved each of them... granted they wernt the best performing cards, but I just loved the silence of them no matter what I did. It seems that making silent video cards has taken a back burner especially in the past year or so. Sad...[/citation]

This x100. I got a 4870 awhile back and the thing wasn't bad at idle, but it sounded like a weak hair dryer when gaming, definitely distracting in audio sensitive games (AvP, L4D), so I ended up getting after market cooling, slightly higher temps, but it's relatively silent.

Lamiel

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Will it compete with a low end GTX480?[/citation]
Low end GTX 480??? There's no such thing.

Lamiel

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
[citation][nom]liquidsnake718[/nom]the HD5850 OC is superior in price,availability, heat, and preformance in certain programs and games[/citation]
Why do people keep going on about a lack of availability on the GTX 400's? They are, and have been for a long time, readily available. As for the heat... Let's look at some GPU history here and put things in perspective. The original reference HD 3870 ran at 92 Celcius when loaded - but the net didn't get flooded with rants about it. But now people are just freaking out over the Fermis because it's the in thing to do. As for the performance? The Fermis offer better minimum framerates, better AA performance and better tessellation performance. I'll gladly admit that the 5850 is an excellent card, but the fanboyism that haunts it's every mention does wear on my patience sometimes.

kdashjl

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2010

i got the same 8600gts runs pretty hot :p

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I would rather have a standard clock and get a GTX 480 instead than run one of these. It's like red lining your engine all the time and wonder why the engine does not last.

pyroghozt

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
[citation][nom]Gin Fushicho[/nom]Will it compete with a low end GTX480?[/citation]
You mean standard clocked GTX480 right?

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished

You know that there are some that are at least nearly like that out of the HD 5xxx line, right. At least some of the lower cards anyway.

getritch

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2010
A 93 mhz overclock is quite impressive for a production graphics card but these things take 3 fans to cool? :p i'll stick with ATI thanks.

showape

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
Yah just what we need. Overpriced gtx470 that performs less than the 480, costs similar and makes more noise...

Hiniberus

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2009
I'm not going to instantly foam at the mouth and start spamming "ROFL GET HD 5xxx", in this case I'd say that Nvidia did make a performance monster with the GTX 480 with it's own implications (Heat/Power/Noise) but seriously, for those of you who are flailing about and bawwing over the heat/noise did you ever hear of WATER COOLING!? I'm no Nvidia fanboy but the issues can easily be fixed with a moment of thinking.

The GTX 480 is something, that if you have the money for, go for it. It beat the HD5870 and got the crown for single-GPU performance while being cheaper than a HD 5970 so I'd say it filled the gap between the HD 5870 and HD 5970. While, if personally given a choice I'd rather go for the GTX 480 than the HD 5870 if I could get one for free (rofl someone would kill me first though), slap on some water cooling and tada, I have a silent and effective cooler. Just replace my PSU but that's just a small price to pay for the performance monster that card is.

Though in reality, I'd most likely end up buying a HD 5750 due to the prices and such. So really, if Gigabyte make this card somewhat cheaper than the GTX 480, they might be on to something here considering that the shader clock is just slightly slower and it'd be cheaper than a standard GTX 480.

Although probably everything I said would go to waste and I'll most likely get -20 for actually trying to be somewhat unbiased but anyway, just chucked in my 2 cents here.

[citation][nom]Lamiel[/nom]Why do people keep going on about a lack of availability on the GTX 400's? They are, and have been for a long time, readily available. As for the heat... Let's look at some GPU history here and put things in perspective. The original reference HD 3870 ran at 92 Celcius when loaded - but the net didn't get flooded with rants about it. But now people are just freaking out over the Fermis because it's the in thing to do. As for the performance? The Fermis offer better minimum framerates, better AA performance and better tessellation performance. I'll gladly admit that the 5850 is an excellent card, but the fanboyism that haunts it's every mention does wear on my patience sometimes.[/citation]

Excellently put. Rants about Fermi are irritating.

Shadow_cloud

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2009
eddieroolz - Excellently put. Rants about Fermi are irritating. Agreed.

If ATi fanboys or gamers have a problem with the GTX 400 series, then just buy an ATi card and be happy with it so the rest of us can enjoy what Nvidia has to offer!

Status
Not open for further replies.