Gigabyte GTX 970 mITX vs Full sized GTX 970s?

samthechamp

Reputable
May 31, 2015
Hi everyone , I realised that since AC:Unity , I had to upgrade my graphics card , now , originally I had a 960 in mind , because it suits my budget and a fairly good Card for 1080p gaming , but then I read that though 970 is ~$150 expensive , it's worth it , I didn't really have the budget , so I want to know if the mITX version of 970 from gigabyte would do just fine/as good as others , there aren't a lot of reviews/benchmarks out there, but I have read quite a lot negative reviews on newegg , but it also fits my current PSU(Corsair cx430) , so one more upgrade cancelled upgrade and hence , money saved , so all in all - this is the situation-
+
1.Favours my wallet (~$50 cheaper)
2.Would work fine with my current PSU.
3.No sagging issues.
-
1.Worse Cooling,
2.Less overclocking.
3.Possibly worse performance.
4.Screen freezing reviews on newegg.

What are your thoughts ? should I spend ~$150 more to get a full sized card and a new PSU or the mITX would be fine?

PS-my current build-
AMD FX 8320 @ stock
Zotac GTX 750 TI OC
4x2 ADATA XPG 2.0 @ 1866 mHz
Corsair cx 430

thanks

I would feel uncomfortable running that card on 430 watts. especially with an AMD chip like that wonderful yet power hungry Fx 8320. I would get a new PSU, and then the Full size card unless you cannot fit it. but, if you do not plan to OC, then you would not need the fancy PCBs and other frills on the full size cards. heat is surprisingly not that bad with the 970 series, so the mini ITX card will not run much hotter than a full size card, it would take extreme conditions to really start seeing a difference. As for the screen freezing, that seems to be a review found on lots of cards, and I cannot see why that card would be any more prone to freezing up than a normal card.

TRENDING THREADS