Gigabyte H61m and i3-2100 voltage

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

swell9

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Hey
I have a questions about the gigabyte gigabyte h61m-d2p-b3 regarding voltages.
What should the voltages be set to when using Intel i3-2100 on this board?
I am also using 1.65v memory, what are the correct voltage settings?
There seems to be alot more voltage options in this MOBO bios than I am used to!

Thank you.

Solution

If you are stressing this system over an hour with prime95, your components are almost certainly fine, it's just fine tuning the system.
Take a gander at the posts and instructions on using prime95, like setting the advanced round off checking, etc.

Take a look in your BIOS at the Vcore voltage (choices up to where gigabyte lists it as Red). I think but am not positive the Vcore of your CPU can go to a max of...

John_VanKirk

Distinguished

If you are stressing this system over an hour with prime95, your components are almost certainly fine, it's just fine tuning the system.
Take a gander at the posts and instructions on using prime95, like setting the advanced round off checking, etc.

Take a look in your BIOS at the Vcore voltage (choices up to where gigabyte lists it as Red). I think but am not positive the Vcore of your CPU can go to a max of 1.375V. Might increase the Vcore just one notch and see what happens. Remember the Power (Heat) increases by the square of the Voltage, so increasing the Vcore will increase the heat generated, but your Max heat is about 73 degrees, so there is some buffer.

For a stable system you should also check to make sure your UnCore mulitplier is twice the multiplier fo the RAM. That may be the issue since you upped the RAM multiplier.

Maximum PC has a great article on i7 Overclocking, but the concepts and components are the same here.

When you stress the whole system, parts include the CPU cores, Mem controller, QPI, PLL, etc. (the components that make up the i3 CPU.
Some people only prime95 test their systems a much shorter time, so you are getting close.

Solution

swell9

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
Hi,

About the unCore multipler... I don't see a value for it in the BIOS. But doing some math:
BCLK @ 100Mhz, CPU @ 3.1Ghz = uncore multi @ 31
BCLK @ 100Mhz, Mem @ 1333Mhz = mem multi @ 13.33
I guess there is no issue there as uncore >> 2Xmem

Anyways, I don't think it is the processor. I Increased the vCore to about 1.27 untill heat started to become an issue, IMHO. It is more about memory compatibility with the MOBO/CPU. I guess Patriot Memory is not that great after all. Maybe I have to loosen up the timings a bit or something.

So right now I kind of made my own "fail safe" values. I underclocked memory to 800Mhz and loosened up every single timming setting from the BIOS. I have been running Prime95 for about 2 Hours. I will maybe tighten up the timings, leave it at 800Mhz, and see how it goes from there. AFAIK there is no great performance difference between memories with different clocks. Even if there is, all I want it to get my system stable. Maybe a future BIOS update could fix it too.

I will report back with the results soon.
Thanks.

swell9

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2007
I tightened up the timings a bit and the system seems stable now with memory running @ 800Mhz.
Ran Prime95 for a few hours. Also tried some of my favourite games and nothing locked up. I also didn't notice any decrease in performance (after memory downclock). Hopefully it will stay like this.

Thanks so much John for your advice. I really appreciate it.

NSX

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2006
Hi,
I was just wondering since last year, are you still running at 800Mhz and stable?

For some reason I have 2 DDR3 1.65V ram. ie: OCZ brand. (sitting in the dust doing nothing)

The ram said: 9-9-9 @ 1.65V on the label but during Bios and cpuz it said 7-7-7-18 and 1.5V.

I am planning to put into the same Mobo and i3-2100 so wanted to make sure if it is alright to bump down to 800Mhz.

I left the 2 OCZ sitting in the dust for quite sometimes as it was causing issue to my other PC running AMD and another Mobo. The RAM recommended by the sale guy. I guess always do the homework before purchasing any part.. never trust the sale guys anymore.

If you can recall what has changed would be appreciated. Since load default will revert everything back to original.

I know for a fact if I put in a DDR3 with 9-9-9-24 at 1.5V will work fine but I dont want to get rid of them (1.65v) yet (unless giving me headache with this PC then recycle it for good)

Please advice.