Gigabyte Has a New Windows Slate PC Running Bay Trail

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike Friesen

Honorable
Apr 10, 2013
According to the ARK pages, the celeron has two slower bay trail cores, and hd graphics, supports only single channel ram, and has a recommended price of ~$110.The z3770 has 4 faster bay trail cores, hd graphics, dual channel ram(at a higher speed), and has a recommended price of $37.The only advantage I see is that the celeron has the capability to support pcie.But is that worth a slower chip and $80? No.

kyuuketsuki

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
According to the ARK pages, the celeron has two slower bay trail cores, and hd graphics, supports only single channel ram, and has a recommended price of ~$110.The z3770 has 4 faster bay trail cores, hd graphics, dual channel ram(at a higher speed), and has a recommended price of $37.The only advantage I see is that the celeron has the capability to support pcie.But is that worth a slower chip and $80? No.
The chip isn't slower; it has the same frequency range, but the Celeron has a higher TDP and will certainly spend more time at higher boost clocks. Also, it supports faster, full power RAM, SATA (so you get actual SSDs instead of much slower eMMC), and gigabit Ethernet, all of which Gigabyte needs for these slates and you don't get with the Z3770.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Plus given the limitations of the form factor, it is plenty fast enough, I can say this with authority having used this chip in a SFF box for running a projector in a conference room, several times this month. no issues with performance as long as you are not try ing to use it as a gaming rig or CAD station. ( that being said, NAVISWORKS Freedom and Autodesk DWF / DWG Trueview worked great)Quote:According to the ARK pages, the celeron has two slower bay trail cores, and hd graphics, supports only single channel ram, and has a recommended price of ~$110.The z3770 has 4 faster bay trail cores, hd graphics, dual channel ram(at a higher speed), and has a recommended price of $37.The only advantage I see is that the celeron has the capability to support pcie.But is that worth a slower chip and $80? No.The chip isn't slower; it has the same frequency range, but the Celeron has a higher TDP and will certainly spend more time at higher boost clocks. Also, it supports faster, full power RAM, SATA (so you get actual SSDs instead of much slower eMMC), and gigabit Ethernet, all of which Gigabyte needs for these slates and you don't get with the Z3770.

Status
Not open for further replies.