Gigabyte Intros Eight X99 Motherboards

Status
Not open for further replies.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Am i the only one that cant understand why these manufacturers are pouring all this money into making gaming boards for haswell E? i mean the reviews showed that in games even with the top end CPU your only looking at an average of 1-2 frames extra. How stupid do you have to be to cough up $1600 on a platform change that gives you so little? Even if i was a multi millionaire i wouldnt even bother. Its wouldnt be worth the time it took me to put together

InvalidError

Titan

Some people use their systems for stuff aside from gaming and as the benchmarks showed, the 5960X does perform a fair bit better than the 4960X for productivity and media rendering/encoding tasks that scale across multiple cores.

I would not buy one for myself either since so few of the programs I use are meaningfully threaded and the few that are account for a small fraction of my total time but I can imagine why people who do tons of those sorts of tasks might want to consider the two extra cores.

My own question would be: is there really so much of a market for LGA2011-3 motherboards to justify a single manufacturer producing eight variants of their X99 boards? For the minor variations between boards, it might be cheaper to drop the lower-end variants and reduce the higher-end board's price tag than warehouse two slightly different boards.

tom10167

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
These boards seem incredible, definitely more exciting hardware than Asus is offering.

8 different models is ridiculous though. How about 5,it just makes it so much l3ss confusing.

SirTrollsALot

Honorable
Aug 14, 2012
I assume they got some kick ass manufacturing process to pull these 8 variants.Who knows maybe in the next 20 years we the consumer may be able to get a custom ordered MoBo! How cool would that be!

tom10167

Honorable
Apr 9, 2014
These boards seem incredible, definitely more exciting hardware than Asus is offering.

8 different models is ridiculous though. How about 5,it just makes it so much l3ss confusing.

IQ11110002

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2009
Those saying it's not worth it probably can't afford it!
Don't need Ferraris and Lamborghinis either as any car will get you from a-b, But I would sure as hell like to have one. ;)
You also are not thinking about future where next iteration of direct x and the like will be using more cores instead of offloading most work onto 1 core, So even for games you will see an improvement not just for productivity.
If you are tight on money then get Z97 nothing wrong with that platform.

msahni

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
Does the Dual M.2 support using 2 SSDs in RAID cause those are the only ports that really provide a faster drive speed .... Surprisingly there is no ULTRA m.2 x4 here as those SSDs are starting to show up whereas Sata Express SSDs are still a pipe dream.

irish_adam

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Those saying it's not worth it probably can't afford it!
Don't need Ferraris and Lamborghinis either as any car will get you from a-b, But I would sure as hell like to have one. ;)
You also are not thinking about future where next iteration of direct x and the like will be using more cores instead of offloading most work onto 1 core, So even for games you will see an improvement not just for productivity.
If you are tight on money then get Z97 nothing wrong with that platform.

If you had a year old Ferrari and they released a model that was 1-2mph faster would you buy it solely for that reason?

I understand the benefits for non-gaming my comment was more to do with the fact that a lot of these boards are directly aimed at gamers, also the amounts of varrients. Dont get me wrong i like a good choice but i'd like to see actual numbers of each board sold because it cannot be that high

ralanahm

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2012
I was always good at those spot-the-difference picture games, but I'll be buggered if I can spot any differences between the GA-X99-Gaming 7 WiFi and the GA-X99-Gaming G1 WiFi. That's right. Not one! There must be some fine detail that evades my spidey senses.

your are right I just checked the detailed pages for each board side by side they are the same board maybe the web page is not updated totally. so there could be just 7 release boards...

http://www.gigabyte.com/products/comparison/list.aspx?ck=2&pids=5128,5126
I was always good at those spot-the-difference picture games, but I'll be buggered if I can spot any differences between the GA-X99-Gaming 7 WiFi and the GA-X99-Gaming G1 WiFi. That's right. Not one! There must be some fine detail that evades my spidey senses.

Urzu1000

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2013
@mapesdhs I'm afraid I can't agree with you. You see, Microsoft controlled a vast majority of the OS market for a while, which is why so many viruses are designed specifically for Windows. I'm not saying their security is amazing, but it's acceptable. They release security patches regularly, even for older versions such as XP till this year. Not even going into their large bounties available for user-reported exploits.

It's impossible to block every single vulnerability, especially when the largest one is the customer.

Back on point though: This virus seems tedious to deal with. Does anyone know if it encrypts multiple HDDs or just the primary boot drive?

Generally speaking, if you have common sense and avoid dodgy sites and activities, you probably won't get a virus.

gstrother1

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2006

Great question, even the manual for the 7 wifi has a picture of the G1 on the 2nd page (if you look at the heatsink for the south bridge). I posted on GIGABYTE's facebook asking what the difference is.

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
I don't disagree that gamers seem to be the target audience, yet I see plenty of so-called gamers brag and crow about having 8Gb systems.

Uh. So... uh... are those now "awful machines" because NOW they hafta get 64Gb?!! Boy... I bet Pacman can REALLY gobble!

And I can't wait to see the next set of Case Reviews which have a single SSD in a 10-Bay Case and THEN have then use one of these X99 motherboards with 10-12 SATA ports on them.

"Ohhh lookee how clean I've got this case - one SSD cable tucked away."

And all that case engineering not used. All those motherboard SATA connectors not used. Yessirree, a real fine Case Review that touts itself as Gamer-centric.

All that RAM. All that storage-device connectivity. Gamer-centric? Well, the Reviewer Crews need to start filling up cases, I suppose, or else growing an imagination.

I do note that GigaB isn't using garage-coverings, temple awnings or even Asrock's carport designs over those Back Panel IOs.

Fierce Guppy

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I don't disagree that gamers seem to be the target audience, yet I see plenty of so-called gamers brag and crow about having 8Gb systems.

Uh. So... uh... are those now "awful machines" because NOW they hafta get 64Gb?!! Boy... I bet Pacman can REALLY gobble!

And I can't wait to see the next set of Case Reviews which have a single SSD in a 10-Bay Case and THEN have then use one of these X99 motherboards with 10-12 SATA ports on them.

"Ohhh lookee how clean I've got this case - one SSD cable tucked away."

And all that case engineering not used. All those motherboard SATA connectors not used. Yessirree, a real fine Case Review that touts itself as Gamer-centric.

All that RAM. All that storage-device connectivity. Gamer-centric? Well, the Reviewer Crews need to start filling up cases, I suppose, or else growing an imagination.

I do note that GigaB isn't using garage-coverings, temple awnings or even Asrock's carport designs over those Back Panel IOs.

I've seen none of these "so-called gamers." Where are they? Can only you see them?

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
I am not doing the same mistake as i did with the first generation of iX intel cpus.
I bought, when they were released, an i7 920 and a 200+ euro motherboard, 6Gb of ddr3 ram and so on..i was really happy with that choice, especially that my i7 could overlock at 4.0 ghz with stupidly low voltage/amp.
However 1.5 year later or 2? or more? the motherboard died, and i had to buy a new one..at ridiculous price of 250 euro..Guess what , i bought a z68 and an i5 2500k with similar money. That tought me one thing

Don't buy the flagship , buy the second rank to it. I will upgrade again when the haswell-E i5s and their motherboards show up so that i won't have to pay 1000 euro for motherboard ram and cpu upgrade.

So for me the important thing to ask for is :

When will i5 Haswell-E and their motherboards be released?

christinebcw

Honorable
Sep 8, 2012
What are you? Some kind of religious nut? You mean to say you're not spittin' up blood to buy dozens of these things?!!

And don't forget they are best used with two of these memory sets, too...

(I'm truly shocked that NewEgg didn't post an 8-piece set of these! Oh well - at least you've got a few more days of penny-pinching to save up for a couple of sets! Isn't that nice?!!)

As for Intel and speedy inclusion of latest technology... uh... don't bother remembering that AMD was using SATA-6 memory controllers for more than 4 years while Sandy and Ivy Bridge only supported more SATA-2s all that time.

In other words, I'm not gonna hold my breath for Intel boards and USB 3.1 support.

Status
Not open for further replies.