[Gigabyte] Issues with Shutdown + HDD on Gigabyte EX58-UD3R

MonMalthias

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Hello,
I've just overhauled my computer (mobo, cpu, everything) and am having issues with my Gigabyte EX-58 UD3R motherboard.

Specs are as followed:
Mobo: Gigabyte EX-58-UD3R
CPU: Intel i7 920
RAM: 3x2GB Kingston 1333MHz (model no. kvr1333d3n9k3/6g)
GPU: Inno3d nVidia 260 GTX (216 stream processor version)
PSU: Antec Signature 850W PSU
HDD: Seagate 150GB HDD and WDigital 640GB HDD. Seagate drive as master, WDigital as slave. Both connected via SATA.
OS is Windows XP 32-Bit Pro

As I am posting using this very setup at this very moment, I can tell you that the system works as intended (for the most part). This is the first time I've built a system (I only kept the case and HDD) and as such I'm terrified that I've done something wrong.

My OS and data have all been preserved from my old setup. Basically, I've done what was outlined in this article: http://arstechnica.com/hardware/new...-motherboard-without-reinstalling-windows.ars and kept all of my old data.

Anyway, my problem is as followed:
My system POSTs and boots as normal. Windows runs fine. Everything normal. However, on shutdown, or pressing the Power Off button on my chassis, the computer turns off as normal then starts back up, with no user input, then boots windows as normal.
This is the strange bit. Windows shuts down - even goes through the "windows shutting down" message and screen, computer turns off (all system LEDs, fans, HDDs cease activity), then a few, maybe 10 seconds later, it turns on again.

The only way to actually shut off the computer is to Shutdown from windows, wait for the power off, then flip the switch on the PSU, or just flip the PSU switch for instant effect. As far as I know, all advanced power management settings have been turned off in both XP and in the bios. I even disabled ACPI standby. This is to no avail.

Secondly, whilst BIOS reports the WD 640GB HDD as both functional and usable for RAID purposes, Windows fails to see the drive from My Computer. Everything is plugged in properly. Jumpers I'm unsure about, but I'm pretty sure I got the master/slave thing sorted out on the HDDs. It's really strange.

Any clues on what I've done wrong? And will I need to reformat/reinstall, then RAID as JBOD for Windows to see the 2nd HDD?

gahleon

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2006
Ok well as far as the shutting down there are a couple of culprits. I think you may have the front panel connectors hooked up wrong so that your power button could be set to your reset button. It is possible and I have seen it happen quit similarily with a friends build. I had a do it correctly for him.

The HDD issue you need to go the system administrator area within control panel and go to storage and you need to initialize the HDD. You shouldn't need to mess with the jumpers as it is a sata drive. Although I haven't messed with RAID yet. I think you just need to initialize it. Anyways good luck.

MonMalthias

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Thanks for the reply, gahleon.
It appears that the front panel buttons do seem to be wired up correctly, as pressing the power button powers on, and pressing the hard reset button forces a reboot as expected. I'll try what you suggested with the sysadmin area with regards to the HDD and report back.

EDIT:
Well, I can now see and use the new hard drive thanks to you. Formatted to NTFS and it now bears my data just fine. Still no solution found as yet regarding the auto-turn on-and-boot problem though.

DOUBLE EDIT:
After followingThis link, I was not only able to get windows to recognise the new partitions I created specifically for the install, I was also able to get Ubuntu installed and up and running as a backup operating system just in case Windows refuses to recognise the new hard drives again. Not only that, I can now turn on the AHCI features of the hard drives without a BSOD.

The turn-on-and-boot problem is still persisting though. Will try to isolate the problem by disconnecting system fans one by one at first, then the geforce card, then whatever else has a power connector.

MonMalthias

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
OK, after isolating everything one by one except for the mobo (even unplugged GPU, though that meant no screen output for diag reasons) and still the problem exists

However! If i set the shutdown mode of the power button in bios
(Power management - power down mode) to 4sec delay, then if i power off by power button before i enter the windows boot screen i can shut down properly!

Brought rig to person who fixes computers, he says that every bit of wiring up looks good, no problems there. Any issues mean that theres a problem with the BIOS revision or the compatibility of the motherboard with other components. One of the components, or the mobo itself, is sending a power on message to the rest of the system after shutdown, as a result of bios incompatibility, or due to an actual mobo fault. BIOS flashing may solve the problem, but if I do so I'll void the returns policy.

This makes me a very sad panda, as it means that i'll have to bring in the WHOLE rig to the vendor to demonstrate, or even replace the mobo, necessitating the 2nd windows activation in 2 weeks. Will update soon.

MonMalthias

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
No, I didn't install any of Gigabyte's software, least of all the Dynamic Energy Saver. I took the rig into the vendor who sold me most of my parts and it came out clean, though the guy did say i had dust all round the power and reset buttons, as well as some around the HDD enclosures. However, the fault couldn't be replicated in the shop despite several hours of power up and down testing along with individual testing of components.

Apparently, they cleaned out the case for me before testing (Bad scientific technique!) so they think that maybe it was dust causing shorts on the mobo or front panel connectors. Either way, I'm no closer to finding the true culprit.

That just leaves the peripherals or the power boards/power points the computer is connected to. Just got my machine back from the vendor (posting this from it right now) so if problems persist I'll update this post. Then isolate peripherals one at a time. Theres 12 USB ports excluding other types (serial, COM, network etc.) so combinatorics say that it could be a while.

Thanks for the help, guys! Appreciate the help in getting the computer to see my new hard drive. If it turns out it was just "dust on the front panel wiring" then I guess I can call this thread solved!

EDIT:
Ok, so now I've taken it home and plugged everything back in. Despite what the technician says, there IS something going on with the machine. The only problem is, it's not on the hardware itself, so it must be one of the peripherals. Which one, I cannot say. Why? Because I isolated every peripheral one by one and I still can't find the culprit.

It's really strange, because I have never had any problem with the machine starting back up with my previous rig. The peripherals are from the previous rig, from the mouse and keyboard, to the monitor, to the printer.

In short, I have no idea how to fix this.

Edouard

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
I have the same problem as you, my computer shutdown randomly and then reboot. it can shutdown on a game or only while on internet or while loading windows. i have bring my conputer to a technician and he cant reproduce the problem, he sdaid he make my machine run for 48 hours with no problem, so it is a problem at my placew only. Ichange powerbar, deplug mouse, it crash, then change keyboard, it crash, deplug speaker, ti crash, i really have no idea what is thye problem, , my mobo is EP43-ud3l