[SOLVED] Gigabyte laptop won't restart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 14, 2020
Hi everyone,

For some years my gigabyte p55w v5 couldn't restart. Shutting down and then booting was no problem, but when I asked for a restart (and after update restarts) it would turn off and then hang on the gigabyte logo without booting the OS (which was windows 7) I was never able to troubleshoot the issue, it seemed like it came out of nowhere .

With the win7 end of life, I decided to migrate to win10, and bought a win 10 pro license. After doing a clean install of windows 10, I was glad to discover my restarting problem had disappeared!
I downloaded all the win10 drivers from the gigabyte support website and proceeded to install them all before running windows update.

However after a few restarts my problem came back... Since I installed a few drivers before each restart i'm not sure which one is responsible but i think i correctly narrowed it down to intel ME, intel chipset or the win 10 Bios updates. I also tried to restart in fail-safe mode and the issue remained

Unfortunately after trying all possible combinations of versions of these updates I haven't been able to solve the problem, I even did another clean install of windows but it did not solve anything.

Does anyone have an idea of what could be causing this? And why would my first install to win10 solve the issue while the second didn't?

Thank you

Solution
First I would check the Device manager and see if there are any device/ driver issues. I would also disable fast startup, and see if the issue is better or worse. You might also want to try booting with one stick of RAM; switch them if there is no improvement. Finally, I would try a cold boot, meaning remove the battery, unplug the AC adapter and hold down the power button for 10 seconds, then plug in the AC adapter and try to boot.
First I would check the Device manager and see if there are any device/ driver issues. I would also disable fast startup, and see if the issue is better or worse. You might also want to try booting with one stick of RAM; switch them if there is no improvement. Finally, I would try a cold boot, meaning remove the battery, unplug the AC adapter and hold down the power button for 10 seconds, then plug in the AC adapter and try to boot.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.