Gigabyte: Laptops Will Die Off, Desktops Will Rise

Status
Not open for further replies.

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
Says the company that barely sells jack in the notebook market. Sorry Gigabyte I love my motherboard you made me but I will never drop a notebook for a tablet or smartphone.

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
Productivity on a laptop is still miles above anything a smartphone or tablet can offer. I can't agree with Gigabyte on this one. Laptops will be around for years to come as they should be.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
I don't have a laptop and probably will never going to get one. They are slow for most things I do on the desktop. Besides the size of the screens is small also. They break easy, and are not upgradable. Price is totally outrageous for the hardware they have in them. Mobile devices will still be in the market for the quick e-mail or what ever here and there, but I do think laptops will become the past soon.

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
I sort of agree with what he says. But I don't think laptops will go away. They may drop some in popularity but companies will always need them and some people who simply do not have room in an apartment for a full sized computer will always buy them.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
That is an interesting argument, but I'm not sure that typical workers need the power that a desktop offers.

Many of us here at Toms use desktops regularly and love to building them. We see the importance of the power we build into them, but for many business users, even modern specs in a laptop are overkill for basic word processing, e-mail, spreadsheets, and internet browsing.

I love my desktop, and will continue to build more in the future, but I'm not convinced that if many things move to the cloud, that tablets and smartphones will not be enough for typical users.

G

Laptops will become more powerful and replace desktops, cell phones are replacing the laptops of today. If any of you saw AMD demo their low power(re: Intel Atom equivalent) Fusion CPU playing Alien Vs. Predator at Computex, we can only imagine how much more powerful their full-blown regular Fusion laptop CPU will be.

PS: Get a docking station for your laptop, voila! you have a desktop.

pinkfloydminnesota

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
They have it completely backwards. So long as software is outpaced by hardware, people will abandon huge desktops, esp. in cities like NYC SF LA Chicago where rents are high and apts are small, and gravitate to laptops that can connect to big LCD screens on the wall.

The new cheapish ASUS with the 5770 gpu -- called the 5870M or whatever -- runs most games fine -- imagine if they had one w/xfired 5870M chips, why would you need a desktop?

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
^^^ I agree, I used to be a hardcore desktop gamer but once I got my ASUS Gamer laptop (G50Vt incase you're wondering) my desktop has been sitting there mostly unused. I'm always on the go and without my laptop I wouldn't be gaming at all.

I can see the big picture he's pointing out... It's kinda scaring to find truth in it, since I like notebooks a lot...

When we talk about "portability", there's no way to compare a notebook to a desktop PC, fact. But it's also a fact that nothing is more portable than a smartphone. Like he said, when they correct annoying handling issues, bye bye notebook. What's even more scarier, is that it also means that in a not so far future, we'll be connecting our smartphones to out office's screens and start working on a daily basis of them ._.!

Cheers!

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]pinkfloydminnesota[/nom]The new cheapish ASUS with the 5770 gpu -- called the 5870M or whatever -- runs most games fine -- imagine if they had one w/xfired 5870M chips, why would you need a desktop?[/citation]

Key word: Most. And that's right now. Software is being outpaced by hardware right now, true. Gaming-wise, software is probably being held back in part by consoles right now. When the consoles finally update, once again software will surge up in requirements again.

Also, with hardware getting relatively cheaper and cheaper, software will start to use the resources people are getting.

Honestly, people say we're fine with the hardware we have pretty much every year, but then stuff always comes out that makes it struggle, then new hardware comes out, etc... etc...

What was it Bill Gates said? Something along the lines of no one ever needing more than 64k memory, I believe?

brendano257

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2008
[citation][nom]posted_from_my_gigabyte_mobo[/nom]PS: Get a docking station for your laptop, voila! you have a desktop.[/citation]

No, you have an over-priced and underpowered 'desktop.'

littlec

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Kelavarus[/nom]Key word: Most. And that's right now. Software is being outpaced by hardware right now, true. Gaming-wise, software is probably being held back in part by consoles right now. When the consoles finally update, once again software will surge up in requirements again. Also, with hardware getting relatively cheaper and cheaper, software will start to use the resources people are getting. Honestly, people say we're fine with the hardware we have pretty much every year, but then stuff always comes out that makes it struggle, then new hardware comes out, etc... etc...What was it Bill Gates said? Something along the lines of no one ever needing more than 64k memory, I believe?[/citation]
Actually dude what he said was a mistake, that laptop will handle ALL games fine, sure there may be a few titles in future that wont run on supermax/hardcore settings with everything turned up but really you don't need that to play. All that means is you wont be able to stroke your e-peen as you play. The point of a notebook is mobility, something that you'll never get from a desktop.

G

I have to agree and disagree with him on this. the tablet market is just heating up, as more and more companies jump on board we will see tablets just as powerful as laptops. killing the laptop off in 3-5 years _no, but within those 3-5 years tablets will be poised to take over mobile computing market.

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
ipad/slate style computers are the future. The keyboard will not be missed when they get some things perfected...like voice and face recognition, speech to text software, eyeball tracking, and brain wave scanners. I give it ten years. Then someday they will even eliminate the display and our visual interface will be a pair of glasses.

doomtomb

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Lol this guy is way off. Laptops will continue to be around and desktops will become so few, most families buy laptops instead of desktops now but I do agree with this statement:
People still want to store their data in their personal systems, not in Google

Status
Not open for further replies.