News Gigabyte Lists Unreleased AMD Athlon 3000G Dual-Core APU

At least its 4 threads.
celerons still give you 2/2 (announced today I think?).
if its just an emergency chip to upgrade machine or survive waiting for new CPU to arrive, it have its purpose.
I hope for brick sized PC that will not feel like dying turtle. this still brings hope.

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
I understand they are probably trying to sell as many chips, as they can salvage, but dual core really needs to die.

Eh, I don't know - low-end, with low power consumption, has its place for specific tasks and workloads. These would still be just fine for the people who just do light web browsing, email, watching videos, etc.

35 watt 2C/4T chips have been around for ages.

https://pcpartpicker.com/products/cpu/#C=2&h=1&sort=-clock&page=1&B=10000000000,35000000000

Announcing a new one as a headline just feels over-hyped.

I can assure you grandma with her "low power Facebook wizardry contraption" wasn't monitoring her twitter feeds for this announcement.

Much more impressive would be the introduction of an ultra-low voltage chip, like a 15 watt cpu using the 7nm technology for the truly low power environments, like grandma's facebook computer or a file server. (Intel has the Atom C3538 which is a 2.1 gigahertz 4C/4T, 15 watt chip supporting ECC DDR4.)

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
What I find odd with this is the model number, specifically - it's got Athlon specs, but a number that's really not typical of these chips. Not sure where they're going with this.